bass trumpet 3rd valve slide

Repair and modification discussion
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

bass trumpet 3rd valve slide

Post by hup_d_dup »

One of the issues with bass trumpets is that the 3rd slide is effectively too long for on-the-fly corrections of sharp notes in the low register.

But what if there was a lever-actuated slide that increased the slide length at four points, rather than two?

Has it been done? Is it possible?

Hup
Last edited by hup_d_dup on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you really need Facebook?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: bass trumpet 3rd valve slide

Post by Dan Schultz »

[quote="hup_d_dup"]One of the issues with bass trumpets is that the 3rd slide is effectively too long for on-the-fly corrections of sharp notes in the low register.

But what if there was a lever-actuated slide that increased the slide length at four points, rather than two?

Has it been done? Is it possible?

Rather than using a dual slide... I don't see any reason why a lever with twice the throw couldn't be designed. /quote]
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Unfortunately I can no longer upload images, so you can't see the sketch of my idea. But it consists of a 3rd slide that is doubled back, and each loop has its own adjustable slide, both of which are controlled by a single lever.

The advantage is that the travel of the slides is cut in half. The slides don't have to move as far, but more importantly they don't have to move as fast. The problem with a single third slide is that the slide is so long that the velocity of the adjustment is probably too high to make it practical. Maybe that's the reason I've never seen a lever on a 3rd slide of a bass trumpet.

The concept of the double adjustment has it own problems which might make it impractical as well. That's why I'm asking if anyone has tried this or something like it.

Hup
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Thanks to 58Mark I now know how to upload an attachement.
sketch.jpg
Hup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I think I know what you are after but what I see in the sketch is not moving anything other than the two tubes coming out of the casing. If the small crook was fixed to the valveset... it would work.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Yes, the small crook is in a fixed position. I wasn't sure how to indicate that because the braces would probably be hidden.

The four dark areas on the slides indicated where the slide breaks are for all four tubes.

Hup
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Actually... I think a fourth valve would be less trouble.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Dan Schultz wrote:Actually... I think a fourth valve would be less trouble.
Yes, this might be best. But it adds weight to an already heavy instrument that has to be held in front with no support.

Incidentally, I haven't yet seen a fourth valve on a bass trumpet.

Hup
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

hup_d_dup wrote:.... Incidentally, I haven't yet seen a fourth valve on a bass trumpet. Hup
Rather that a conventional 1+3 4th valve... a flat step might be more beneficial. Less tubing.

I've seen four piston soprano cornets/trumpets and flugels but not bass trumpets. I suppose the smaller production quantities for bass trumpets makes it less feasible. Maybe WESSEX will get some. :D
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Dan Schultz wrote: Rather that a conventional 1+3 4th valve... a flat step might be more beneficial. Less tubing.
This is a GREAT idea I hadn't considered!

Hup
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

But just like the "long whole step" which is the 5th valve on a conventional tuba, the 1/2 step would have to be modified so that it worked with 1+3 to make 4, and that would be an odd length - more like a "short 2nd."

Bloke has a thread with such a "compensating" valve somewhere.

I propose a different alternative, based on 3-valve tuba tuning and older trumpet tuning (before 1st and 3rd saddles/rings/triggers):

Tune 1st dead
Tune 2nd dead
Tune 3rd long so 2+3 is in tune (really - show me a bass trumpet part that has a trill, and I will buy beverages)
Put the trigger on 1, not 3, so that it is easier to control with the thumb and you can keep better control of the instrument grasping the valve block between the 2nd and 3rd fingers and the palm of the left hand. This facilitates a slight pull for 1+2, a moderate adjustment for 1+3, and, well, just lip 1+2+3.

I have played several sousaphones and trumpets where the 3rd valve slide was made long for this reason, whether or not it had a 1st valve saddle/ring/trigger. If there was no saddle/ring/trigger, then most manufacturers used to make the 1st valve slide @ 5 to 10 cents long to facilitate 1+2 and 1+3 with minimal lipping. Harry James actually pulled and set his 3rd valve slide as described. These alternatives work well. The only variation on this theme which I do occasionally on trumpet is to set the 3rd valve slide long with its ring, and if I do have to trill, I can then pull the 3rd valve slide in to facilitate tuning on the trill, then kick it back out to its "normal" position facilitating 2+3.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.