sousaphone restoration - where to begin

Repair and modification discussion
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Re: sousaphone restoration - where to begin

Post by opus37 »

First, you have to see what you have. Are all the parts there? If you are missing a piston, the plastic is broken beyond repair then you have a wall hanger. If it is less than that, you can buy necks, tuning bits, finger buttons and the like. Repair techs can loosen stuck slides make a stem, pound out dents, etc, for not too much money. You can repaint it rather easily if needed. A missing slide or valve caps can be found or made. The question is, how much time and money are you willing to put into it?
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Don't be a fool, take Bloke up on his offer. Yes, finish the farm work but there likely will be a week this fall or winter where you can work something out. You'll get a good playing horn and a wealth of knowledge (maybe even a good friend) out of the experience.

I have a 1912 Martin. A few years back I decided to have it restored. I took a pilgrimage down to see Lee Stofer. (actually twice) I found it to be one of the best tuba things I've ever done. Lee, like Bloke, is a true gentleman and a wealth of knowledge. Just watching him work and chatting with him was well worth my time. As I play the horn now, it makes me smile and it performs wonderfully. It has history and Lee is part of that history. Lee and I have had a few conversations (over the internet) since then and I have had a couple of other things done by him. I treasure his expertise and friendship.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

opus37 wrote:Don't be a fool, take Bloke up on his offer....
After the BBQ reopens...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.