Miraphone 186 vs King 2341

Repair and modification discussion
choirboy
lurker
lurker

Miraphone 186 vs King 2341

Post by choirboy »

Hello everyone,

I have a Miraphone 186, and a friend of mine wants to exchange it for a King 2341 with detachable bell and the exchange would be without money, tuba for tuba.

Do you guys think it's worth it?

My idea with the tuba King would be to replace the detachable hood with a fixed bell (from Holton or York Eb)

Thank you.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Miraphone 186 vs King 2341

Post by Kirley »

Obviously, condition is a big factor. But I'll say that I'm much happier with my King than I ever was with my 186. I mostly play sousaphone so I think I'm just more comfortable with pistons.

The real reason I'm chiming in, though, is to point out that what is right for one person, may not be right for another. Don't let perceived value interfere with choosing the right instrument for you.

Play them both side by side. Do a trial period where you get to use the horn in the setting(s) where it'll be most often used. Just be clear with your friend on the terms.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

No. I did replace my detachable 186 that had both a recording bell and an upright bell, but only because I really wanted the tone of the Besson bell I replaced it with. See my thread on the "Bessophone."

It is not cost effective, and there are many more risks to intonation, which I luckily avoided. King detachable bell tubas were "matched" from bell to bugle at the factory and will not necessarily function as well when swapped around.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

This is one way to do it and put it in BBb.

Tubas
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

Miraphones sell high and sell fast, is that King the exact tuba you would buy with the money if you sold your miraphone? That is the only situation where this trade makes sense.