YEB 621

Repair and modification discussion
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

YEB 621

Post by bigboymusic »

Ok.... I'm not asking if it is WORTH it, I'm purely asking about logistics. If a player were to attempt to create an Eb version of the 621, would it be more logical to lengthen a YFB 621 or cut a YCB 621.

Which leads to the second question. Can you take a CC valve section and just cut it down to where it needs to be, or will you be destroying some sacred node factory....
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Re: YEB 621

Post by bigboymusic »

When I had the chance in the early 90's, I asked some of the Yamaha people about the lack of a YEB 621. The answer was a simple business one. When the 621's were on the table, the YEB 321 was already a popular seller around the globe. No problem to fix. At the time, there were basically no front action Eb's out there.

I agree with the sound issue. Most are 'vanilla'. That was an issue I had with the chance to convert a 321 to front action. I owned a 321 that had a very nice, resonant tone, but being an idiot at 23 sold it for a Yamaha Virago.. Another story there.

I was hoping the Wessex Gnagey would fix my itch, but as good as it sounds, My wrist can't handle the valve angle.

Waiting to see what the Eastman small bell Eb brings to the table.
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Re: YEB 621

Post by Sam Gnagey »

Here's what you'd get:

https://www.wessex-tubas.com/shop/tubas ... 65-gnagey/" target="_blank" target="_blank