Broken string on French horn

Repair and modification discussion
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Broken string on French horn

Post by Ace »

I need some recommendations for replacement string for my French horn rotors. The nearest place to buy it is in Oakland and the string comes in spools that would last twenty bands thirty years. All I need is a a two foot length! I'm thinking maybe fabric fishing line might work if it doesn't stretch. There is a bait and gear shop on the Bay shore----maybe the guy will cut me a piece of line. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Ace
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Broken string on French horn

Post by The Big Ben »

Ace wrote:I need some recommendations for replacement string for my French horn rotors. The nearest place to buy it is in Oakland and the string comes in spools that would last twenty bands thirty years. All I need is a a two foot length! I'm thinking maybe fabric fishing line might work if it doesn't stretch. There is a bait and gear shop on the Bay shore----maybe the guy will cut me a piece of line. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Ace
Search on Amazon for "french horn rotor valve string" and a few will show up.

One is this- Yamaha brand, 6.5 feet $8.99

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YAC-08000 ... lve+string" target="_blank
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Broken string on French horn

Post by Dan Schultz »

60 pound braided Dacron bait casting line will work fine. Put a barrel knot in one end and stiffen the other end with Super Glue so you can thread it through the holes in the lever arm.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.