Mouthpiece too far away - '77 king

Repair and modification discussion
amuneric
lurker
lurker

Mouthpiece too far away - '77 king

Post by amuneric »

First, I'm not a tuba player, my kid is. But I did play trumpet in high school and am an engineer, so I understand the mechanics and physics of a tuba.

My kid is graduating college this spring. Been playing tuba since 7th grade, but always had a school instrument. Not a music major, not pursuing any kind of career in music, but talented, and expressed an interest in having an instrument to continue playing after school. So we got a '77 King off ebay. Took it to the local music shop here where it was deemed in pretty good shape, nice tone, quite playable. Local music shop ordered us a neck and a couple of bits, since the horn didn't come with those.

Over Christmas break the kid tried out the horn and was very happy with it. However the mouthpiece is just too far way to play comfortably. Kid and mouthpiece are back at college now, but I've attached some pics that I think show the problem. Did the local music store get the wrong neck? Is there options for bending the neck we now have? I know enough about instruments to know we can't just add more piping.

I live in SE MN (Rochester to be exact), so the Minneapolis/St. Paul area is an easy drive if someone thinks there's anyone in the area that could help me out. We don't want to spend a ton of money to fix this, given that it's a "for fun" instrument, but just living with the current situation isn't really an option either. Chicago area is also an option, but that's more of a commitment.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.