1921 York & Sons

Repair and modification discussion
GeneJ
lurker
lurker

1921 York & Sons

Post by GeneJ »

I am a new member to this forum. BBb tuba player since 1969. :tuba: I own a 1949 Conn 20J BBb, 1953 King (HN White) euphonium and I've mostly been playing a Holton TR181 bass trombone lately (I'll leave the strings out of this at this time).
I recently acquired a 1921 (based on serial number) York & Sons BBb tuba which came from an antique shop. It's in somewhat rough condition though virtually complete. At this point I'm not sure that the valves can be saved (my brother found it in the Texas hill country and I live in San Diego area, so I haven't had an opportunity to actually touch it). I'm awaiting some opinions from a couple of shops (Oberloh and Lee Stofer) regarding possible options. Part of me would like to keep it original while another part of me would like to replace the 3 upright valveset with a 4 valve front facing valveset which I think would make it a monster player. Vincent Simonetti suggested if the latter, a .750" bore front facing valveset.
Does anyone have any opinions on: A) value as a renovated original vs really playable frankenhorn or B) good shops that can handle this sort of project (and hopefully at a reasonable cost)?
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: 1921 York & Sons

Post by Ken Crawford »

It all depends on the definition of "value." It will never be valuable from a monetary perspective. As original it is valuable from a historical perspective. If updated with modern guts it could be more valuable in terms of playability. So do you want to be a collector of historic tubas, or a player of a more modern style instrument? Either a restoration or conversion/restoration will be expensive. You will never be ahead fiscally. If I had the money to burn, and I mean burn, I'd do a 4+1, factory quality, (won't look like a "frankenhorn") conversion/restoration to CC...
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Do you have any photos of this York? It would be good to know which model it is.
Tubas
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Which model BBb York is it?
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
GeneJ
lurker
lurker

Post by GeneJ »

Thanks to all respondents. The horn is a Model 91. 22"bell. I finally decided to to a mechanical restoration, modify to play in A440. Currently at Lee Stofer's shop. I'll post pics in the Fall when it's all done.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

Here's mine:

http://tinypic.com/mb77h2.jpg" target="_blank

http://tinypic.com/io0k6o.jpg" target="_blank

It's a beat-up old York from around 1920 with a brand-new dual-bore Mirafone 1271 valve section.

http://www.galvanizedjazz.com/tuba/tubacase.html" target="_blank
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote:Most seem to shun the 3+1 compensating configuration... (top-action...hold up a cross to protect ourselves from it, as if some of vampire :lol: )

...but if there is some old 3+1 compensating Bb with a totally trashed body/bell and good valveset, that valveset should fit fairly well on an already-top-action tuba, is fully chromatic, and is large-but-not-giant bore.
Bloke, say it plainly: if you have or can find an old Besson that was always stood on its bell and always knocked over, trashing it out, transplant the valveset to the York for better intonation. .730 bore.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:Most seem to shun the 3+1 compensating configuration... (top-action...hold up a cross to protect ourselves from it, as if some of vampire :lol: )

...but if there is some old 3+1 compensating Bb with a totally trashed body/bell and good valveset, that valveset should fit fairly well on an already-top-action tuba, is fully chromatic, and is large-but-not-giant bore.
This wouldn't be terribly difficult to do (compared to a front-action conversion, that is), and might very well end up with a positive result. The Martin Mammoth (a crowd pleaser) has a similar sized bugle, with a smaller bore (.718, more comparable to the .728 bore of the Besson/B&H horn).

The only hitch might (?) be the ergonomics involved with the 4th valve (reaching around such a large horn).

Very interesting concept, I must say - it could make for an outstanding brass band BBb bass.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".