Basic Toolkit

Repair and modification discussion
M.Medlock
lurker
lurker

Basic Toolkit

Post by M.Medlock »

This question spawns from an encounter student who had not oiled a school’s tuba in months and since it is my instrument I was tasked with fixing the issue. I spent a significant period of time fixing the stuck valve caps. I let some valve oil to sink in to the threads then used a rawhide mallet (requisitioned from the percussion) to tap the caps gently until I could open them by hand using an alto neck strap to get some extra grip (they were a touch slippery after oiling the threads). With the aid of a valve brush I cleaned everything as best I could and the tuba was oiled and returned to working condition. Needless to say, all the brass got a talking to and a demo of how to properly oil their valves in attempt to avoid such an incident in the future.

As an upcoming educator, what are some of the basic tools I will need to address common issues that I might face with brass instruments? The school I was at had no tools at all and their first instinct was to go get plyers from the janitor, which I politely declined. This is not a situation I wish to be caught in again.
Tubas
Rudolf Meinl 4/4 CC
Miraphone 186 4/4 BBb
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Basic Toolkit

Post by Sousaswag »

Stuck mouthpieces, stuck slides are two big ones.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

Mouthpiece puller, some various sized tools for truing bent shanks, and a lot of rubbery shelf lining. If the shelf lining doesn't provide enough grip for a stuck slide, I've had good results with a rag/washcloth fee through the slide as a pull-grip. If that doesn't work, it's time for a tech.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

A good mouthpiece puller like the one Ferree's sells is a great start. A small rawhide mallet and various oils and greases are also good. A set of small screwdrivers is also in order.

Instruct students to leave the pistons in the cases when oiling them and pulling them up only until the first port shows. That will prevent them from ever hitting the floor. Kids should also be trained to periodically grease the slides and to push them all the way in and pull them back out at least once a week. A slide that is left out for tuning purposes for months on end and then being shoved all the way in is a recipe for a stuck slide. Teach them how to properly clean an instrument using a dishwashing liquid and brush snake then to apply fresh lube. Any valve oil is better than nothing for pistons. A synthetic grease like 'Super-Lube' for slides is good.

Solder joints will be broken... especially on the cheaper student models. Tape is not a fix. Use zip-ties to hold things together until the instrument can be taken to a competent technician. Simply a wad of paper can temporarily be used to replace a waterkey cork. 'Dad fixes' are the worst!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Maybe also a bottle of this (penetrating oil)?

https://www.ferreestoolsinc.com/product ... 1113797092" target="_blank
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ASTuba »

That is really a product called Kroil, which Ferree's just bottles up and ships out. Way cheaper to buy if you take out the middle man.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Funny thing, I've used Kroil in the past and I didn't make the connection.....:oops:

Anyway, the stuff works like a charm.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

ASTuba wrote:That is really a product called Kroil, which Ferree's just bottles up and ships out. Way cheaper to buy if you take out the middle man.
It's even cheaper if you mix acetone and ATF (or MMO) to use a a pentrating fluid.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ASTuba »

roweenie wrote:Funny thing, I've used Kroil in the past and I didn't make the connection.....:oops:

Anyway, the stuff works like a charm.
Got the MSDS the first time I bought Corrosion Cracker, and it said that it was made by Kroil. I immediately wrote that down and never bought it again from Ferree's.