Use of Large Chinese Tuba Parts? Bookmark and Share

Use of Large Chinese Tuba Parts?

Postby the elephant » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:10 pm

So has anyone yet tried to use Jinbao (or whatever you can find) bugle branches, bells, etc. to resurrect an old, unplayable example of the horn that was cloned?

I seriously doubt *any* HB has been defiled in this manner. But there are a ton of 186s out there that could benefit from replacement bottom bows or bells. So has anyone used JB parts to try this? Did they fit? Did they introduce any sort of issues?

Since I discovered that my 410 is NOT as close of a copy of the 186 as I had been led to believe (by several sellers in the past) I wonder if *any* of the bugle section is close enough to the real deal to be swappable. I know that NONE of the valve section is. NONE. The two horns are different bore sizes, so not one part will convert over if it is a tube. The only things that are able to transfer over (that I know of) are the valve transmission parts, and I do not actually *know* if these are a bolt-on fit or if lots of adjusting will be needed. I will probably never know this since I used a different type of lever system from what Miraphone uses, and it comes with no holes drilled so you can fit it to any rotary tuba.

This has piqued my interest.

Anyone?

the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Re: Use of Large Chinese Tuba Parts?

Postby roweenie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:10 pm

I'd be interested in getting a 6/4 bell - finding an importer who is interested in selling one is an entirely different matter.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:13 pm

I'm thinking (??) that M. - when active - was bartering jimbeightysix bells in exchange for repair work.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby bloke » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:15 pm

I've scrapped that uniquely-curved 4th valve tube (BBb Gerhard-Schneider/Weltklang/etc.) from Chinese copies to replace hopelessly crushed ones on Communist East German tubas.
bloke

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction