slow-pay institutions

Repair and modification discussion
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Re: slow-pay institutions

Post by Ken Herrick »

What, you actually get paid - eventually?????

I had a case some years ago where I had to do full overhauls on over 30 woodwind instruments for a primary school. Everything needed a LOT of work. If I didn't do it there would be no beginners instrumental music program the next year. I managed to get all the pads, corks etc. plus more tools then went to work over the summer break. All up I spent about $5000. I took everything back at the start of the new year and presented my bill which was like cost LESS 10%. Turned out the principal had not requested funds and there was only a bit over $300 available. I just shut up shop after that fiasco.
Free to tuba: good home
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Generally late-paying accounts have other problems that make them not worth doing business with. However, a late payer can still be a good client if they are reliable and have no other issues. I had a regular client that always took over 60 days to pay, but I never had to nag them because I knew they were good for payment, and I had regular work coming in from them.

Charging interest on an overdue bill is a hassle for both payer and payee. Not worth the trouble. At some point you have to factor in the anticipated extra cost into a quote, or just turn the work down.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

bloke wrote:
I don't charge interest...I just pre-charge higher amounts for my services, based on past payment promptness history.
I would have known this if I had read the first post more carefully.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?