TWO Buescher 4/4 CC tubas from the 1920's Bookmark and Share

TWO Buescher 4/4 CC tubas from the 1920's

Postby bloke » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:09 pm

I've FINALLY begun TWO long-delayed projects on TWO Buescher 4/4 CC tubas.
- Both are roughly 95-year-old formerly-BBb tubas.
- Both featured very long tuning slides between their mouthpipes and their 1st valves, which will disappear in order to become CC instruments without chopping on body bows at all.
- Both are in remarkably-fine condition, metallurgically speaking.
- Both (THOUGH CONCERT TUBAS) feature the SAME bugle taper and bore size as my Buescher 4+1 (very nice instrument with very easy tuning) CC helicon. (Most have seen pictures of that instrument...yes?)
- ONE will be 4+1 top-action with a 19-inch detachable recording bell.
- THE OTHER will be 4+1 front-action with a 19-inch fixed upright bell.
- The valveset bore size measures out at around .725" or so (something like 18.5mm...the valveset bore size of a Yamaha/Eastman/Dynasty sousaphone, as well as a typical BBb compensating tuba, a Yamaha YBB-321, etc.).

Here are three pictures of the top-action recording bass:

Last edited by bloke on Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: TWO Buescher 4/4 CC tubas from the 1920's

Postby bloke » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:30 pm

Here's a crappy shot of the front-action upright.
It currently has it's original 3-valve valveset on it, but I have acquired a same vintage/make/bore 4-valve valveset (really great condition) to replace this 3-valve valveset. That also explains why this instrument is only a little bit torn down, and why it's still up in storage.
:arrow: I actually have TWO DIFFERENT ways to go with this instrument:
PLAN A: what you see below
PLAN B: I have the BODY of ANOTHER recording bass (which was a FRONT-ACTION recording bass...and that's where the 4-valve front-action valveset came from) and the body and bottom bow of a Buescher "Monster" Eb that hooks in nicely with the large upper bow of the recording bass body. The body parts for "PLAN B" are NOT shown below...only those from "PLAN A".

bell engraving on the upright bell front-action instrument:

special note to Three Valves:
Those blue roundish things are NOT my shoes, but are just some items laying on the floor in the storage area. I was actually wearing some brown moccasins when taking that picture.
bloke

Postby bloke » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:50 pm

note:
Neither are 6/4 nor Chinese, so - upon completion - will not be sent off for testing and review. :|
bloke

Postby roweenie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:43 am

Overlooked horns, IMHO.

Looks like a fun project, bloke. I'll be watching for updates!
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:31 pm

roweenie wrote:Overlooked horns, IMHO.

Looks like a fun project, bloke. I'll be watching for updates!

I hope I can find the time for them.
Circumstances beyond my control prompted me to get "on" them.

truth (my view of truth)
I really am not impressed with the way these play (with their extremely long capillary portions) as BBb instruments, and view the 4/4-size sousaphones/helicons/tubas as "C instruments factory-lengthened to Bb"...

...much as with these dreadful things, that Miraphone offered for sale in the 1960's and 1970's:

bloke

Postby roweenie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:58 pm

bloke wrote:truth (my view of truth)
I really am not impressed with the way these play (with their extremely long capillary portions) as BBb instruments, and view the 4/4-size sousaphones/helicons/tubas as "C instruments factory-lengthened to Bb"..

Quite likely correct. My experience is mostly Buescher E flat tubas, YMMV.

I also suspect that other "heirloom" makers factory CC tubas (ie. York, Conn and King) were in fact "reworkings" of obsolete high-pitch bugles/mandrels with the "MTS after the mouthpipe" eliminated - maybe that was the case with Buescher, as well?
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Who knows for certain...??

The Buescher "monster"-size Eb tubas (to me) are amongst the most challenging (of all makes from that era) to push in-tune, and I tend to view them as "parts" instruments (bells, bottom bows, o.e.m. braces, o.e.m. water keys, main tuning slide assemblies for BBb [CC], etc., etc.)
The Eb bells are very useful for conversions of recording bell BBb bodys (not uncommonly: missing their recording bells) to viable (CC) instruments...and (again) the Eb bottom bow (with the small side only slightly expanded) can be mated up with a BBb (CC) upper bow.
bloke

Postby tizzdizz » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:43 am

What neat projects! I haven't come across another tuba like mine before, and always wanted to know a bit more about it. I wasn't sure if it's a 4/4 or 5/4. Are there model numbers for these?

I have noticed tuning issues as well on by BBb horn from 1928. I do remember you had expressed interest in buying my horn, but at the time I think I wasn't really able to ship it, and since then I've decided to actually keep playing. Glad you've found a couple good candidates.
tizzdizz
lurker
lurker

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction