BBb to CC cuts

Repair and modification discussion
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

BBb to CC cuts

Post by tclements »

Hey guys, Is there anyone out there doing the Rusk-type BBb to CC cuts these days?? Thanks.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: BBb to CC cuts

Post by bort »

Thinking about cutting down the Holton??

Very few people do this these days. It's a TON of work, and results are not guaranteed. Especially since there are several lower priced Chinese 6/4 options now, the costs and effort to take an old 6/4 BBb and make it into CC... well, just doesn't seem to add up.

Not that the work can't be done, it's still very possible. But the whole concept was to make 6/4 CC tubas, when none (or very few) existed. They can be bought or ordered easily now, so cutting down isn't really so appealing anymore. It would likely take much more money and time than you or the repair person would want to spend.

But, it is cool to create things, and make something new from something old.

Sam Gnagey cuts down 2341's all the time. I wonder if he'd consider a special project?
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

The only reason to do it would be that a user really, really wanted to do it. Someone with real skills could get it done with enough effort but, if the user haaaasss to do it and is just a person with a torch and a hacksaw, I'd suggest trying a student Bb trumpet and cutting it to C. A C trumpet is actually useful and you might find out that a tuba is not something you really want to mess with.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

the elephant wrote: It should be a much better horn after I have completed it…
You are being very meticulous with the Holton and it has been a fun thread to read.

Kinda like this viewpoint about work in general:

"I like and respect hard work. I could watch someone else do it all day..."
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

The Big Ben wrote:
the elephant wrote: It should be a much better horn after I have completed it…
You are being very meticulous with the Holton and it has been a fun thread to read.

Kinda like this viewpoint about work in general:

"I like and respect hard work. I could watch someone else do it all day..."
It has been a terrific thread to read. Watching the evolution of that Holton keeps me checking in here every few days to see what the next progress is! I wonder if we could have an audio clip of the horn and the owner once this epic project is finished?
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces