Ball and socket linkage lube

Repair and modification discussion
BflatBass
lurker
lurker

Ball and socket linkage lube

Post by BflatBass »

I just bought an old St. Petersburg 202 with the old ball and socket valve linkage. These joints will need lubricating from time to time so I'm wondering what to use. Since I've worked on cars and motorcycles all my life my first inclination is bearing grease but that just seems a little dirty since it turns black after use. So after doing a little poking around online I'm seeing various products available that might work. One video I watched said tuning slide grease would work. The only thing I've found that looks like it's specifically meant for this is Hetman #15 ball joint lube.

Recommendations?

Thanks,
Robert
King Dou Gravis Silver Sonic
King 3B (early 70's version)
Saint Petersburg 202(L) BBb
BrassKicksArse
bugler
bugler

Re: Ball and socket linkage lube

Post by BrassKicksArse »

Recently, I went over a B and S horn with this style of linkage. I found that Selmer red (Now branded as Bach tuning slide grease) Works very well. It's thick enough to seemingly last a while, and It's incredibly smooth and quiet under operation. Here's a link to what im talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Tuning-Slid ... B00I9ENA5Q" target="_blank
BflatBass
lurker
lurker

Re: Ball and socket linkage lube

Post by BflatBass »

If the applicator has a syringe I'm willing to apply it every week. I only play in one band once a week and practice about 3 times a week. I'd rather there was no mess. A little mess would be ok if there was no alternative and a smooth quiet operation. If the lube is literally dripping off the linkage during use I'll switch to something cleaner and put up with more noise.
King Dou Gravis Silver Sonic
King 3B (early 70's version)
Saint Petersburg 202(L) BBb