the beginning of the end...

Repair and modification discussion
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Re: the beginning of the end...

Post by BrassedOn »

Are you making one left-handed triple-bell sub-contra cimbasso? (I ran out of hyphens.)
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The problem is that computer science can be so, so, so outrageously abstract and boring. It takes years of hours of coding, sitting behind a screen, and deep focused concentration.

That is... it's not for everyone.
b.williams
4 valves
4 valves

Post by b.williams »

[quote="bloke"]https://www.hws.edu/academics/mens/[/quote

Thank you. That made my morning!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Miraphone 191
Yamaha YBL-613HS Bass Trombone
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

If there is such a gap in computer science, might it not be beneficial to teach a bit to everyone, like they do with high school English?

And i would say that a musician's attention to detail should prove useful in the inevitable debugging processes.

Put me in the "all art is one" camp. Though i still got a long way to go before... um, i could claim to be an artist or something.

Sorry... Just thinkin' outloud. Bad habit, i know.
Thanks for playing!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

YORK-aholic wrote:Education (slow to adapt traditionally) is starting to move that way. There is even talk of allowing 'coding' to count for the 'foreign' language requirement in high school.
Serious question -- is this because in California, speaking Spanish is already so common that teaching it in schools isn't the most valuable use of time? I know that "foreign language" includes a lot of languages... but let's be real, in most place, it means "Spanish."
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

hrender wrote:FWIW I have almost never found staring at code “boring.” That’s one of the reasons I stayed with it both as a major and a career.
</tangent>
Glad to hear it -- I briefly tried the CS route, and just couldn't do it. Well, not that I wasn't able to do it, I understood it just fine... I just couldn't bring myself to consider a career where computer coding is the entire focus. All coding, all the time... not my idea of fun, and not even my idea of acceptable considering the money. I had lots of CS friends in college, and it worked out quite well for them (i.e., high salary jobs straight out of college -- this was 20 years ago in DC).

The irony is that I'm in a PhD program right now, and there is plenty of data analysis and coding involved. I actually don't mind it, because it's used as a tool to get results that you can then interpret and report, etc. There's just no way I could do something like be a software developer, or computer programmer as a primary occupation.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

As an English speaking person I can attest to the fact that English grammar is just the most god awful subject ever. But I have an ear for it. Usually, if it sounds right to me it is. Russian was the same way.

Math and coding I can do, but it doesn’t hold my interest and I am not proficient at either. I usually got the right answers but it took me much longer to solve the problems.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

I'm quite sure I have earned lifeskills credit and should submit to this program. Oh, what I could do with another BA!

With some of my own edits and expansions to expand beyond just "mens" concerns:

"The first of its kind to be offered in the country, Humes and Berg's Low Brass Players' Studies program offers a thorough look into low brass players' lives, combining courses from the humanities (short disparate history of the tuba and euphonium and performers, low brass music history[only offered as short course]), social sciences (psychology of auditioning for one of 15 jobs in the world, inner game of music, social circles in low brass studios, Neanderthals and you), natural sciences (brass instrument metallurgy, chemistry of oil and other lube combinations, other uses for a hammer, stripping horns for no good reason, anatomy and physiology of breathing, biology of chugging), and fine and performing arts (of course, low brass performance, but also horn design and other craft, acting like you know what you're doing) to explore theories of brass player identity, the history and sociology of low brass players' experience, and musical genres and musical sensuality. The program delves into low brass players' identity, and examines ways of knowing and teaching or making unfounded guesses and remarks about these matters.

In the Low Brass Players' Studies department, students are encouraged to study the identity and lives of low brass players through historical and sociological contexts. Under the instruction of our distinguished but admittedly flawed faculty, misguided and/or socially awkward students explore and discover the evanescent nature of low brass musicianship and craftsmanship today, at least until our insect overlords ban such activities.
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass