all this 186 talk...PICTURES ADDED Bookmark and Share

all this 186 talk...PICTURES ADDED

Postby bloke » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:58 am

...reminded me of a 186 up in the attic that is all-Miraphone but was a typical hopelessly-trashed bell-flare (tears 'n' stuff) 186 (an early one, with the HEAVY levers, the LARGE-gauge springs, and the fancier engraving on the kranz of the trashed bell).

The bell flare was beyond restoration, but I also had a Miraphone 186 recording bell - probably from c. 1970 or so (value to most people: the value of the scrap brass).

I did a really careful cut on the trashed upright bell, unsoldered the large-diameter "recording" bell flare, and put the two together to make a viable bell.

Though shorter, surprisingly the pitch level isn't really that "high", and the sound (not the classic 186 sound) is more "York-like"...and the scale (intonation) is fine. (Many of us will remember that - in the past - many would criticize the type of resonance emitted by vintage 186 tubas' bells, which now nearly everyone positively describes as "classic". me...?? I was never a critic. I tend to embrace more than one type of tuba sound, as long as a type of sound is "good".)

This is a project that I probably won't complete this year nor the next, but I'll pull it out - sometime soon - and take a couple of pictures so interested folks can see the lower-Miraphone-186 fixed bell (cut) to Miraphone-recording-bell-flare (unsoldered from its elbow) splice that I did.

yeah...It's a "frankenstein", but (well...) it remains "all-Miraphone", and (more importantly) "good"...and it's appearance really is NOT "odd", either.
Last edited by bloke on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: all this 186 talk...

Postby roughrider » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:22 am

Pictures please!!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
roughrider
3 valves
3 valves

Re: all this 186 talk...

Postby bloke » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:28 am

roughrider wrote:Pictures please!!

...a peek into the blokeattic :shock:

57-years-old 186
dents/finish issues to address...
I may (??) recall that a few rotor/linkage parts were missing, but I had all that stuff, and from the same era (heavier levers, etc.)
- only about 1-1/4 inches needed to add to the main slide ferrules for easy A=440 tuning
- saved the serial number and logo off the trashed bell (currently: taped in place), and will solder it on to this lower bell part
- managed to coax it into a "new style" King 2341 hard case...
- may well rid this thing of its "recording bass configured" mouthpipe, unless a short-waisted customer (or petite person...or parent of a kid...or a middle school) buys it

bloke

Re: all this 186 talk...PICTURES ADDED

Postby hrender » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:44 pm

It's cool now. It'll be very cool when it's done.
hal.
hrender
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:05 pm

Thanks very much.
I guess it's a little bit funny-looking, but perhaps only because I/we are not used to seeing this.
I think it is good that the bell rim is still a good bit above the top of the upper bow.
Obviously, this changes the instrument, but yet everything remains "in the family".
Further, the required "overhaul" labor will necessarily raise the price of the finished product.
I believe it's very good that there also isn't the cost of a new replacement bell – whether it would have been German or Jimbo.
bloke

Postby iiipopes » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Please leave the leadpipe alone until you get a customer that wants it tailored to suit. Remember, this is the "smaller" leadpipe with a little more taper that we all like better.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 & B&H 3-valve comp w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby bloke » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:57 pm

iiipopes wrote:Please leave the leadpipe alone until you get a customer that wants it tailored to suit. Remember, this is the "smaller" leadpipe with a little more taper that we all like better.

I will do (beyond making it into what it will be as seen) as little or as much as required of it's eventual buyer, which is the nature of bloke. I don't like tossing things in the trash which are perfectly functional and pleasing.
bloke

Postby Tubajug » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm

I think it looks good with the larger flare on it. Nice job, can't wait to see the finished product!
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba in progress
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Used to own, but still a fun thread: Lyon & Healy Eb

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:53 pm

I didn't have a tape measure with me up there.
I suspect it's only 19 or 20 inches in diameter.
A 186 recording model owner (or Dan Schultz) will know.
bloke

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction