Valve Stems for 38K Conn Sousaphone Bookmark and Share

Valve Stems for 38K Conn Sousaphone

Postby bgossett3665 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:55 am

Hello,

I've recently had some work done on my horn and discovered that none of my valve stems are the same length on my sousaphone, and I've had a hard time tracking down anyone with information on my horn since its so old.

Does anyone have specs on a Conn 38K Sousa, the horn is from 1928 and has long stem action valves.

Sincerely,
bgossett3665
bugler
bugler

Re: Valve Stems for 38K Conn Sousaphone

Postby bloke » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:22 am

Allied Supply Corporation in Wisconsin (sells to repair shops and stores) has some after-market ones made (possibly by Getzen, as the same people own both companies?) to fit 14K/36K. The old 32K/38K/40K stems are probably basically the same, though (I'm thinking - at that time) they were made a bit smaller in diameter.

Avoid buying those that you might find online that claim to fit "King and Conn". Those fit KING and defacto-King sousaphones that were branded "Conn".
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Dan Schultz » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:04 am

If the stems are not soldered into the pistons (a really crappy way to fix stripped threads).... unscrew all of them and put the shortest one into your #3 piston. Pull out the main slide and take a peek to see if the ports align in the 'down' position. If the piston travels AT LEAST far enough for the port to align... you are in luck. You can trim the other two stems to match and you'll be in business.

If the short one is too short... try the next one. ... and so on. At least that method might let you know the correct length. At that point... new matching stems can easily made or matched from existing stock ones. Any competent repairman should be able to handle this.

If someone responds with the correct length for a 38K... let me know. I have lots of odd stems and can probably match them up.... or make them. The threads in the pistons and threads for the fingerbuttons should be the same as that for a pre-1985 Conn 14K or 36K.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Bohm & Meinl helicon, Marzan euph, King 2341, Alphorn, etc.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Postby bloke » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:34 pm

Vintage 38K stems height (NOT including the male threads, but ONLY measuring the main portion that extends up above the top of the piston) is a scan amount less than 1-3/8".

The more-recent (14K - 36K) stems were very slightly shorter, with a very easy adjustment possible (simply) with a slightly thinner felt underneath the finger button. Again: Allied Supply offers a aftermarket replacements which resemble the more-recent style. The diameter of the aftermarket replacements (just as with the recent-era originals) is slightly wider, but they still easily pass through the early 20th Century (ex's: 32K, 38K, 40K) top valve caps.

I'm about as certain as I can be that the male piston insertion threads are the same, and I am certain that the female finger button insertion threads are the same (SAE 6 x 40). The Allied Supply part number (must be ordered from a store or shop) is C-64195-1

:arrow: Please order from your local shop or store, buy somewhere (??) online from a parts retailer, or buy from someone here who is willing to order/sell small parts. I am not a parts store.
bloke

Postby mak » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:00 pm

I have a 38k and measured three stems from top to shoulder as 1.34, 1.30, 1.32". Threaded section is 32TPI outer dia 0.191, non-threaded section is 1/4" dia. My #2 stem looked like it was epoxied with JB Weld!
I have my #2 valve with a cracked rib and flaked off plating. Anyone have a #2 valve for sale for a 38K?
mak
lurker
lurker

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction