Valve Stems for 38K Conn Sousaphone

Repair and modification discussion
bgossett3665
bugler
bugler

Valve Stems for 38K Conn Sousaphone

Post by bgossett3665 »

Hello,

I've recently had some work done on my horn and discovered that none of my valve stems are the same length on my sousaphone, and I've had a hard time tracking down anyone with information on my horn since its so old.

Does anyone have specs on a Conn 38K Sousa, the horn is from 1928 and has long stem action valves.

Sincerely,
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Valve Stems for 38K Conn Sousaphone

Post by Dan Schultz »

If the stems are not soldered into the pistons (a really crappy way to fix stripped threads).... unscrew all of them and put the shortest one into your #3 piston. Pull out the main slide and take a peek to see if the ports align in the 'down' position. If the piston travels AT LEAST far enough for the port to align... you are in luck. You can trim the other two stems to match and you'll be in business.

If the short one is too short... try the next one. ... and so on. At least that method might let you know the correct length. At that point... new matching stems can easily made or matched from existing stock ones. Any competent repairman should be able to handle this.

If someone responds with the correct length for a 38K... let me know. I have lots of odd stems and can probably match them up.... or make them. The threads in the pistons and threads for the fingerbuttons should be the same as that for a pre-1985 Conn 14K or 36K.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
mak
lurker
lurker

Re: Valve Stems for 38K Conn Sousaphone

Post by mak »

I have a 38k and measured three stems from top to shoulder as 1.34, 1.30, 1.32". Threaded section is 32TPI outer dia 0.191, non-threaded section is 1/4" dia. My #2 stem looked like it was epoxied with JB Weld!
I have my #2 valve with a cracked rib and flaked off plating. Anyone have a #2 valve for sale for a 38K?