How long is a "long whole step?" Bookmark and Share

Re: How long is a "long whole step?"

Postby Ken Herrick » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:55 pm

So, why doesn't somebody just give him a measurement in inches for the correct theoretical length? One reply would have saved all these other posts! Remember - save band width (probably six tubas)!!!
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:29 am

Ken Herrick wrote:So, why doesn't somebody just give him a measurement in inches for the correct theoretical length? One reply would have saved all these other posts! Remember - save band width (probably six tubas)!!!

Neil Armstrong wrote:That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby the elephant » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Ken Herrick wrote:So, why doesn't somebody just give him a measurement in inches for the correct theoretical length? One reply would have saved all these other posts! Remember - save band width (probably six tubas)!!!

The length of a BBb tuba is not always the same. It varies depending on the overall fluid volume of the horn. A 6/4 tuba is SHORTER than a 3/4 tuba of the same key. This applies to all tubas in all keys. (The difference between my small bore tenor trombone and my euphonium is about three inches! This means two extremes of size BBb tubas could vary in length by about a half a foot. The difference between my Holton 345 and, say, a CC cimbasso, could be even more that that.

[The differences in the slide loops will be much smaller, of course, but they *are* there, so each horn ends up having its own specific set of measurements that do not coincide with measurements taken from another horn unless both horns match, for the most part.]

So if he measured a really skinny 3/4 BBb 1st slide it would not be the same as one on a very large bore rotary BBb. Also, some measure different lengths, meaning that some include the additional tunnel in the length, as that is a part of the length that is added when the valve is depressed. That length varies, too. Seeing how we have such a Freak Jury here, THAT is why no one wants to cough up numbers; they cause arguments. It is much better (anyway) to physically measure it yourself. Then, when you screw it up and have to disassemble, trim (or perhaps replace with longer parts - DOH!) and reassemble because you blew some very basic and simple math and measurements you have only yourself to blame and not me or Dan or Joe or whomever you allowed to do some of your work for you. HAHAHA!!!

Also please keep in mind that the end result is not the only prize. He is not building a tuba. He is LEARNING to build a tuba, so simply giving him numbers that may or may not actually apply to his horn and the parts he will use is the true waste of bandwidth. Teach a man to fish, as they say.

This is *not* rocket science, folks. It is addition and subtraction and careful measurements taken using your mom's old cloth tape measure...

For all you do, this " target="_blank's for you.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Tubajug » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:26 pm

Thanks again guys for the great responses. If nothing else, this opened my eyes to the fact that it is similar in length to the 1st valve on a BBb tuba (once someone said it I was like "oh duh, that makes sense"). All I had thought about previously (as in my original post) was that it had to be "long" or "flat" and that it should therefore be something longer than the 1st valve circuit of the Eb horn itself. I appreciate the input and "back and forth" that goes on to spur discussion and generate more responses. This will be a ways down the road as I still need to purchase the 5th valve (and cobble together some tubing for the circuit) and finish de-denting the bugle (which will be more of a process than I originally thought, isn't that how it always goes though?).

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions! Thanks!
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba in progress
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Used to own, but still a fun thread: Lyon & Healy Eb

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Postby roweenie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:38 pm

the elephant wrote:Seeing how we have such a Freak Jury here, THAT is why no one wants to cough up numbers; they cause arguments. It is much better (anyway) to physically measure it yourself

simply giving him numbers that may or may not actually apply to his horn and the parts he will use is the true waste of bandwidth

YES! :tuba:

roweenie wrote: FWIW, I've always approached the 5th valve circuit a sort of a "trial and error" situation

Start too long, trim off little by little until you get the length you desire.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:46 pm

I believe we should consult Siriah:

https://tinyurl.com/RocketteScience
bloke

Postby FarahShazam » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:20 pm

iiipopes wrote:I don't have a math degree. I just paid attention in high school algebra. And the calculator I use when I want to compute such items, including fret distances on a guitar, golf club lofts, etc., is a TI-30 with a manufacturing date of the 25th week of 1978. Yes, I typed 1978, purchased new for me as a gift for school.

ti-30 is still sold. I bought one for my 15yo taking calc. There are more recent models but they are only made to influence the buyer. ti-30 is still standard and quite useful.

While there are those who don't have math degrees, the OP is clearly interested in equating semitones.You guys, this is a kick a$$ thread.
--farah chisham
FarahShazam
Chisham
Chisham

Previous

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction