Gig Bag Construction

Repair and modification discussion
Diego A. Stine
bugler
bugler

Gig Bag Construction

Post by Diego A. Stine »

Hello all,

When I bought my F tuba, it came with a brown leather duffel bag that was extremely difficult to put the tuba in. It also shook around a lot while in the bag. The bag did not come with backpack straps, just a pair of regular handles that were twice as long as they needed to be. I started by removing the sewing that held together the three largest pieces of the bag (which was originally a cylinder with a 32-inch zipper down the side). I got rid of one of the circles, one of the extra-long handles, and other odds and ends that didn't add to the bag whatsoever and reassembled the bag into a shape that I could comfortably get the tuba in and out of. So far, its held together by Gorilla Tape, a staple gun, and lots of safety pins. I plan to take it to a shoe repair place to finish the sewing that I do not know how to do (which is to say, almost all of it). The button that holds the bag closed is of my own handiwork, and I must say I'm rather pleased with how it turned out. :)

Pictures of the finished product (so far)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing" target="_blank

Once I get the bag sewed shut where I can pick it up without cradling it like a baby (and without the safety pins snapping), I plan to add backpack straps and a Cronkhite-esque music pocket.
Diego Stine
Gronitz PCK
B&S 3099/W/2
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Gig Bag Construction

Post by Kirley »

Nice!
Thanks for sharing.
Good luck getting it all sewn up.
stewki
lurker
lurker

Re: Gig Bag Construction

Post by stewki »

Looks nice! Do you plan on that music pocket being big enough to handle a large folder, notebooks, or whatever form your music comes in for maybe multiple gigs? What about a second pocket for mouthpiece, oil, misc accessories? And if you have a folding stand, straps/etc to hold the stand to the bag? Or do you carry all that in a separate briefcase-like thing? I used to think i'd hack my bag to hold my accessories. And i'm still thinking about it...

Good luck.