Wisemann Leadpipe - replace? Bookmark and Share

Wisemann Leadpipe - replace?

Postby ZBob » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Hello,
Issue: I have a Wisemann that developed the dreaded rot in the leadpipe last year. Due to time constraints, I had to have a local music store tech do an "emergency" patch. It ain't too pretty but it does the job.
Question #1: I plan to sell this horn and wonder if I should sell as is or have the leadpipe replaced?
Question #2: If replacement is wisest, would it be best to have a new one installed (I hear it would have to be a B&$ part) or could/would one of you experts out there fabricate one. And then there is the silverplate.
Question #3: If it is ok to ask for recommendations (or volunteers) on the forum, who out there would take this on?

I have a new horn and the Wisemann is traveling from Boston to the West at this time with my Dad. He would like to drop it off to get the work done and possibly consign?

Effusive thanks ahead of time.
Eastman EBC836S CC
B&S Symphonie F
Wisemann 900S CC
S.Cao Signature Cello
ZBob
lurker
lurker

Re: Wisemann Leadpipe - replace?

Postby bloke » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:03 pm

I believe the PT-6P pipes are nickel-silver...not a terrible visual clash with silver plate.

Sell me that rotten ol' tuba for $2000. :P
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby cktuba » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:07 pm

If you want to get a decent return on the horn, I would replace the leadpipe. Otherwise, sell it as is on the cheap. I wouldn't buy a horn with a bad leadpipe, at least not unless it was offered at a SIGNIFICANTLY lower than market value price point. And I am saying this as a Wisemann 900 owner who has considered selling my horn and replaced the leadpipe (outstanding work done by the Blokester). Be forewarned though it will most likely take 90 days or longer to get the part.
cktuba
6 valves
6 valves

Location: A department store freeing a man trapped inside what I believe to be a "Martin Mammoth."

Postby ZBob » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:07 am

Thanks for the insights gentlemen. My dad dropped the horn off for Lee Stofer to rehabilitate when he gets time. His shop was right on my dad's route home and we had some dealings with him a few years back and he really impressed us.
Eastman EBC836S CC
B&S Symphonie F
Wisemann 900S CC
S.Cao Signature Cello
ZBob
lurker
lurker

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction