Defective valve casing? Need opinions on this... Bookmark and Share

Defective valve casing? Need opinions on this...

Postby Ltrain » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:47 am

Edit: Original question has been resolved and not related to issues at hand. Issue is being resolved at the seller level. Thanks for the guidance!
Last edited by Ltrain on Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eastman 853 Eb
Custom Conn 36K Sousaphone (26K Brass Bell)
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Member, Metropolitan Music Community
Founder/Director, L Train Brass Band
User avatar
Ltrain
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:58 am

Re: Defective valve casing? Need opinions on this...

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:04 am

Without a major obstruction or major misalignment, it's pretty difficult to "mess up" an otherwise "good" tuba, and - even when such issues are identified - it's pretty difficult to improve an otherwise "bad" tuba.

Attention to detail - in tubas' construction - is about as commonly observed as it is in the music of their players.
User avatar
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator
 
Posts: 43183
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: western Tennessee

Re: Defective valve casing? Need opinions on this...

Postby bort » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:35 am

I bet a lot of people would be in for surprises if they scrutinized the insides of their tubas.

Of all the tubas I've owned so far, I think the best-assembled tuba I've had was the Willson. That tuba was an absolute tank, and was *solid*. Actually a lot of fun to take things apart on it (remove valves, etc.) because of the precision fit/finish and high-end quality of the tuba. It ended up not being the perfect tuba for me, but certainly not because of construction issues!
Handmade B&S PT6
User avatar
bort
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 10006
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:08 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Re: Defective valve casing? Need opinions on this...

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:52 pm

bort wrote:...was an absolute tank, and was *solid*.


Were a blind date described in such a way (as "sex" and "music", arguably, appeal to our emotions in somewhat similar ways), would you agree to go out with them ?
User avatar
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator
 
Posts: 43183
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: western Tennessee

Re: Defective valve casing? Need opinions on this...

Postby bort » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:40 pm

bloke wrote:
bort wrote:...was an absolute tank, and was *solid*.


Were a blind date described in such a way (as "sex" and "music", arguably, appeal to our emotions in somewhat similar ways), would you agree to go out with them ?


I would ALWAYS pick "solid" over "unstable."
Handmade B&S PT6
User avatar
bort
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 10006
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:08 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Re: Defective valve casing? Need opinions on this...

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:05 pm

bort wrote:
bloke wrote:
bort wrote:...was an absolute tank, and was *solid*.


Were a blind date described in such a way (as "sex" and "music", arguably, appeal to our emotions in somewhat similar ways), would you agree to go out with them ?


I would ALWAYS pick "solid" over "unstable."


"none of the above"
User avatar
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator
 
Posts: 43183
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: western Tennessee

Re: Defective valve casing? Need opinions on this...

Postby djwpe » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:57 pm

If it doesn’t play right, send it back, especially given the vendor’s statements about “improving quality” and “high grade”. A tuba that doesn’t play in tune with itself is unacceptable.

Also, my offer to you still stands. I’ve got a Holton with your name on it.


Don
djwpe
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:58 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Defective valve casing? Need opinions on this...

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:11 pm

djwpe wrote:If it doesn’t play right, send it back, especially given the vendor’s statements about “improving quality” and “high grade”. A tuba that doesn’t play in tune with itself is unacceptable.

Also, my offer to you still stands. I’ve got a Holton with your name on it.


Don


DP (my hero) pointed out some TRVTH more than once:
There is a huge difference between a picture of a tuba and a tuba.
User avatar
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator
 
Posts: 43183
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: western Tennessee


Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests