cleaned off a decade of black tarnish for Hallmark Channel Bookmark and Share

cleaned off a decade of black tarnish for Hallmark Channel

Postby bloke » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:41 pm

filming of "Wedding at Graceland” (I'm hearing, is the name of the chick-flick) tomorrow...

Audio tracks were recorded this morning (to overlay for fidelity) at Ardent Studios (in at 9 A.M...out before 10 A.M.). I used the old detachable bell compensating Eb for the recording session, and need something "shoulder-mounted" (like this) for the filming. This thing is somewhat striking, I suppose, but FAR LESS striking than the rainbow-sparkle sousaphone.
(The band - obviously - is the background, and - I'm certain - we need to remain "background".)
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: cleaned off a decade of black tarnish for Hallmark Chann

Postby Tubajug » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:19 pm

That is truly a thing of beauty there bloke.

Question: does it not use a bit? Is that just a chunky/beefy-looking receiver?
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba in progress
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Used to own, but still a fun thread: Lyon & Healy Eb

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Postby toobagrowl » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:43 pm

Bloke is making the big-time :tuba:

Tubajug wrote:
Question: does it not use a bit? Is that just a chunky/beefy-looking receiver?

Pretty sure that is an AGR on the neck.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:33 pm

Matt offered me a generous price on that AGR when I was building this.
No tuning bits, and no real concern about “gap“, but the AGR at least gives me some in and out personal adjustment for positioning.
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:15 pm

It will be IMPOSSIBLE for the camera to ignore you, the helicon, and the purple shirt!!

(I smell a credit!!)

:tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bort » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:34 pm

Hallmark Channel... Lori Laughlin out, Bloke in!
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:35 pm

Hey...
Those people are really nice.
They treated everyone well, and I didn't even hear any harsh words spoken privately in whispers to colleagues...and the producer chatted with us (the band) longer than he needed to...actually seemed interested in talking to us...many compliments from the bosses, EVEN THOUGH (at the shoot) all we were really doing was pantomiming audio tracks that we had recorded the previous day. I suppose (??) they judged the pantomiming as "realistic"...
Even when things were stressful to some of them, they remained good-natured about "that with which they were dealing".
They fed us very well (borderline haute cuisine), and gave us ample time to eat what they fed us.
They also finished the shoot within 3 minutes of the time they promised to finish (which involved waiting for airplanes, helicopters, tugboats, and firetrucks to pass). Towards the end of the day, a difficult scene (which involved the band loading their stuff on to the riverboat past the wedding party - inlaws who were greeting each other...one pair of which are supposed to be - according to the storyline - put off by the other) had to be shot over-and-over again. It involved three different angles, and - shooting at the primary angle - it took quite a few takes to get everyone's lines, inflections, facial expressions, timing, extraneous noises (boat ramp rattling at first) and locations all just right... bloke climbed a bunch of steep metal stairs (past a couple of barely-off-camera grips holding mics and light reflectors) quite a few times.

Because it's large, shiny, and shoulder-mounted, I used the helicon on the movie set, but I used this instrument at the (audio tracks) recording session yesterday at Ardent Studios. To the band's credit, (including engineer set-up and checking levels) the entire audio recording session only took 53 minutes (from time to show up to turning the car key and leaving) to record 14 tracks.

...and I'll use this tuba again tomorrow morning at my regular (real) ship's lounge Saturday morning jazz band (different band) job.
bloke

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction