Remove-able Bell Security (Drill?) Bookmark and Share

Remove-able Bell Security (Drill?)

Postby Tubaing » Thu May 09, 2019 12:38 pm

How stupid would it be to drill holes for the bells screws to go into (instead of just pushing against the metal)? I imagine it would help make it more secure.
Keep on Tubaing
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Remove-able Bell Security (Drill?)

Postby windshieldbug » Thu May 09, 2019 12:41 pm

Not stupid, but you have to make sure they’re aligned and the screws are through :shock:
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Postby pittbassdaddy » Thu May 09, 2019 1:00 pm

Make sure that the bell is in the perfect position before considering this.
pittbassdaddy
bugler
bugler

Postby bort » Thu May 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Would the metal on metal contact be different enough, so as to make the screws "buzz" when vibrated?
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Thu May 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Tubaing wrote:How stupid would it be to drill holes for the bells screws to go into (instead of just pushing against the metal)? I imagine it would help make it more secure.

I have never seen one where the screws are "just pushing against the metal". I have only ever seen where they fit into a pretty deep groove. Do your horns not have this feature?

If you need help, try asking a question. Making a series of disconnected, random statements won't get you your answer.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Dan Schultz » Thu May 09, 2019 9:53 pm

I've done it on several horns. Grind a point on each screw. Tighten the screws a bit to leave a mark on the bell tenon. Then use a punch to make the marks deeper so the drill doesn't 'skid'. Then drill the holes in the bell tenon through about 5/32" diameter or maybe just a dab smaller. That way the screws don't actually go through the holes. That will eliminate any possibility of creating a 'buzz'.

An alternative is to turn the tip of the screws down to about 1/8"diameter for about 1/8" leaving a flat on the outer diameter of the screw. Drill 5/32" diameter holes in the tenon. The end of the screw will pass through the holes in the bell tenon and then bottom out against the tenon. Again... pressure will be against the tenon to eliminate a possible 'buzz'.

In both cases you can avoid alignment issues my grinding a small line that crosses from the tenon to the receiver.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Postby bloke » Fri May 10, 2019 5:06 pm

Tubaing wrote:How stupid would it be to drill holes for the bells screws to go into (instead of just pushing against the metal)? I imagine it would help make it more secure.

Is the male tenon on your personal detachable-bell instrument thin-walled and/or lacking a groove?
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby windshieldbug » Sat May 11, 2019 11:38 am

If you look at this bell you will see that ovals have been drilled in the tenon for the screws:

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
windshieldbug

Postby Tubaing » Sat May 11, 2019 12:31 pm

Thanks for the help everyone! The real issue is one of my horns (a Grand Rapids York BBb 3 valve top action, front bell. Not pretty) is that it is damaged and is a bit out of round- bell doesn't stay on perfectly. If I make a move, I'll update the thread.
Keep on Tubaing
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction