Remove-able Bell Security (Drill?)

Repair and modification discussion
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves

Remove-able Bell Security (Drill?)

Post by Tubaing »

How stupid would it be to drill holes for the bells screws to go into (instead of just pushing against the metal)? I imagine it would help make it more secure.
Kevin Specht
Keep on Tubaing
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: Remove-able Bell Security (Drill?)

Post by windshieldbug »

Not stupid, but you have to make sure they’re aligned and the screws are through :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
pittbassdaddy
bugler
bugler

Post by pittbassdaddy »

Make sure that the bell is in the perfect position before considering this.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Would the metal on metal contact be different enough, so as to make the screws "buzz" when vibrated?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I've done it on several horns. Grind a point on each screw. Tighten the screws a bit to leave a mark on the bell tenon. Then use a punch to make the marks deeper so the drill doesn't 'skid'. Then drill the holes in the bell tenon through about 5/32" diameter or maybe just a dab smaller. That way the screws don't actually go through the holes. That will eliminate any possibility of creating a 'buzz'.

An alternative is to turn the tip of the screws down to about 1/8"diameter for about 1/8" leaving a flat on the outer diameter of the screw. Drill 5/32" diameter holes in the tenon. The end of the screw will pass through the holes in the bell tenon and then bottom out against the tenon. Again... pressure will be against the tenon to eliminate a possible 'buzz'.

In both cases you can avoid alignment issues my grinding a small line that crosses from the tenon to the receiver.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

If you look at this bell you will see that ovals have been drilled in the tenon for the screws:

Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tubaing »

Thanks for the help everyone! The real issue is one of my horns (a Grand Rapids York BBb 3 valve top action, front bell. Not pretty) is that it is damaged and is a bit out of round- bell doesn't stay on perfectly. If I make a move, I'll update the thread.
Kevin Specht
Keep on Tubaing