Holton BBb-345 Valve Stem and Finger Buttons Bookmark and Share

Holton BBb-345 Valve Stem and Finger Buttons

Postby Tubaing » Sat May 11, 2019 12:40 pm

I just got my dream horn- a Holton BBb-345. I'm hoping to replace the valve stems (or at least one since it is too short!). I would also like to get new finger buttons (Yamahas are nice).

:arrow: Any leads on stems I can order that will fit?
:arrow: Any leads on someone who has some stems laying around that would work?
:arrow: Any leads on someone who wants to make stems for me (PM me a quote)?
Keep on Tubaing
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Holton BBb-345 Valve Stem and Finger Buttons

Postby bloke » Sun May 12, 2019 7:56 pm

1/ Some stems that Allied Supply represents as fitting Bach/Olds O-99 seem to be perfect for Holton 345.

2/ The "professional" Yamaha finger buttons (same as all of the others, except with real M.O.P. inlay) are M4 x .75 thread, which is close enough to the 8-32 thread in the stems mentioned above to carefully "muscle" them in place (carefully work them back-and-forth until they fit into the 8-32 female threads in the stems). The Yamaha buttons look nice, are large, yet are not overly-large, and are also fairly lightweight.

3/ Finally - with only a bit of trimming, those top-mounted (held in place with a flat-head screw) Willson nylon valve guides are great substitutes for the O.E.M. noisy Holton metal guides of the same style.

YMMV
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Tubaing » Sun May 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks so much! I'll call up my local shop and see if they can get those parts. And thanks for mentioning the valve guides. The ones on there are quite worn out and quite loud.
Keep on Tubaing
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bort » Sun May 12, 2019 9:11 pm

Give Martin Wilk a call.
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Mon May 13, 2019 11:19 pm

I guess Brett thinks I'm an asshat.
---------------------------------------------

I can supply part numbers (Allied Supply, and Yamaha), if you like...
Those top-mounted nylon guides...You'll have to get from The Getzen Company, but the oem Holton screws will work. If you can build a #4 slide circuit, you can make the Yamaha metric buttons fit SAE threads, and you can trim those nylon guides to fit.
bloke

Postby bort » Mon May 13, 2019 11:32 pm

Not at all. Just replying to the "someone to do it for me" part.
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Tubaing » Tue May 14, 2019 7:09 am

bloke wrote:I can supply part numbers (Allied Supply, and Yamaha), if you like...
Those top-mounted nylon guides...You'll have to get from The Getzen Company, but the oem Holton screws will work.

Please do provide the part numbers. Also, are OEM Holton Screws available?
Keep on Tubaing
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Tue May 14, 2019 3:44 pm

Tubaing wrote:
bloke wrote:I can supply part numbers (Allied Supply, and Yamaha), if you like...
Those top-mounted nylon guides...You'll have to get from The Getzen Company, but the oem Holton screws will work.

Please do provide the part numbers. Also, are OEM Holton Screws available?

I doubt that the screws are available, but - once you determine the thread size, just look all over McMaster.com to find something that seems as though it would work.

I'd bet that one of these small-SAE-thread stainless steel flat-head slot screws is the one that fits in the top of Holton 345 pistons.
https://www.mcmaster.com/flat-heads

The nice m.o.p. Yamaha finger buttons (M4 x .75 thread, which can be teased to conform to SAE 8-32 if done with care) are H6141001.

Bach/Olds stem (Allied Supply) is S917.

Neither are very expensive, even though the Yamaha button with m.o.p. is the "pro" button.
bloke

Postby MN_TimTuba » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:19 pm

For my 345, my tech installed larger diameter valve stems and the Yamaha buttons. Really looks much better. Plays better with them, too. Well...
Anyhow, here is a link to pics showing my repaired fat Holton with Yamaha buttons - https://imgur.com/a/wX5rZ
Good luck with your horn - post some photos when she's completed!
MN_Tim

Holton BBb 345
MN_TimTuba
bugler
bugler

Postby Tubaing » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:39 am

The Olds stems worked great (except on the first valve which at some point had the threads retapped to take a larger stem). The finger buttons rock (thanks everyone- especially Bloke). Lots of projects to go on this horn.

One (cheap I hope) thing I'd like to do is lengthen the main tuning slide. As you can see in the picture, the inner slide legs are much shorter than they have to be.

Keep on Tubaing
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:28 pm

It's a shame when someone in the back of a music store f's something up, to "get the work out".

Here's something that COULD be done:

> Start with a 1/4" diameter round brass rod (or, perhaps, 7/32").
> Drill a really pretty hole of the appropriate tapping size (check an online chart) smack dab in the middle.
(You will have an infinite number of chances to try again, it you don't like they way you placed the hole.)
> Tap the CORRECT thread into that hole...SAE 8-32, OR the actual Yamaha metric thread...Is it M4 x .75 ...??
> Run a DIE over the outside and put the (wrong/right) male threads on the outside of the rod to screw into those (wrong) #1 piston female threads.
> Cut off your thing-a-ma-jig a bit too long, screw it into the piston, and silver-braze it in place.
> Saw and carefully file it off smooth with the top of the piston.
> Go back with your tap (to fit the Olds stem) ONE MORE TIME to clean up the (surely: distressed) female threads. Screw in the Olds stem to match the other three.
> happy face :D

bloke "This is the 'I ain't gotta lathe' method that I just came up with for you."
bloke

Postby Tubaing » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:56 am

Yeah, I don't think I could do any of those things with my current skills and equipment... the good news is that the one in question is not the one that is too short. Also, good news is that the Yamaha finger button fits the non-matching stem. And it is still an old, ugly tuba, so I can live with it not matching.

I should do a post some time about this horn some time because it does have a very special history to me.
Keep on Tubaing
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction