Other tubing Bookmark and Share

Other tubing

Postby bloke » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:19 pm

I had to replace a field hydrant. :| :(
The brand that I put in the ground (perhaps 11 - 12 years ago...??) was/is poorly designed and relies on custom (not available in stores that don't sell this brand of hydrants) O-rings to shut off the water. The O-rings are under-engineered and "blow out" or rot.

Additionally, the galvanization on the exterior pipe was obviously inadequate, rusted through underground and epic failure (that pipe rusting completely in two) also occurred.

I replaced it with a traditionally designed and respected brand of hydrant.

I had to harvest the pea gravel from below (into which the water drains each time the hydrant is cut off - making it "freeze-proof", and save it off to the side. Additionally, the rebar that I had put in place underground (hose-clamping them to the hydrant for added strength) required work-around strategies, as it proved itself to be in the way of my (failed hydrant un-screwing) pipe wrench. For a few days, I stopped the water with a short hose and a turned off nozzle. Though I didn't end up needing to run off for additional parts/tools/what-have-you, I wanted to do this project on a day that I could carve out time to do it, when it was not raining, and when plumbing supply houses (just in case) were open.

Mrs. bloke uses this hydrant to water chickens, and others of her critters are going to be moved close to this hydrant as well...so it needs to be functional, and (though much simpler) not removed and capped off.

Yes, that's a piece of marble as a splash drain...Doesn't everyone have white Italian marble under their field hydrants...?? :lol:

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: Other tubing

Postby toobagrowl » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Didjya use the same bore tubing with the replacement? :P
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Other tubing

Postby bloke » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:17 pm

toobagrowl wrote:Didjya use the same bore tubing with the replacement? :P

Ricky Ricardo wrote:I thin so.

Again, that short little all-male-threaded connector was difficult to extract from the bottom of the failed hydrant...but I got it out (without destroying it), and it saved me a trip to the plumbing supply place...any round-trip to anywhere that sells anything is a minimum of 45 minutes...

...except (and I'm not happy about this, fwiw :( ) there is now a dollar store barely over a mile away.

Even the closest bolted-to-the-ground USPS blue box (from where I mail Sellmansberger mouthpieces) is a 15 minute r/t.
bloke

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction