Throw it away. Buy a packer
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Re: I done busted my suzy.

Postby bloke » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:31 am

Mark Finley wrote:Throw it away. Buy a packer

preach!
Each year, I struggle to put a school's two doz. NOT-JP p.o.s. back together (literally: valve sections rattling around inside their cases, and pistons worn down to brass after only a couple of decades.)

I've shown the director a JP...They're mostly a 20K-bot.
The first year they had the job, they bought two new (yeah: paper-thin, for the past few decades) 20K's... While (again) the majority of their instruments fall apart, the 20K's come back to me each each (yes, due to metal gauge) with epic dents.

JP is a medium-thickness, well-braced, high-grade, excellent tolerances, better-than-King King-copy sousaphone, with NICKEL SILVER inside/outside slide tubes, NICKEL SILVER male and female bell tenons, and equal-to-European-quality stainless steel pistons. Included in the price is [1] an astonishing complete copy of the Conn-Selmer (butterfly latches) version of the MTS case, and [2] (free) drop-shipping from the warehouse to the school.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Mark Finley » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:42 am

I teach for a rather large school district that only supplies two instruments for every school in the district. 20k Sousas and yamaha 641 tubas. And then I have band directors asking me why their tubas play out of tune.
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:44 am

Mark Finley wrote:I teach for a rather large school district that only supplies two instruments for every school in the district. 20k Sousas and yamaha 641 tubas. And then I have band directors asking me why their tubas play out of tune.

My personal opinion is that - particularly in the current configuration of one of those - I consider those to be far from the top of the list, but many students (inexperienced/insensitive) play worse out-of-tune than those instruments. That having been said, instruments which naturally line up closer to equal temperament would surely improve things. When a 20K is found that doesn't not sport a seriously flat 2nd partial F, (again) the currently-manufactured wall thickness is quite thin (compared to other makes, and compared to original Elkhart, Indiana manufactured 20K instruments).. Denting - compared to foreign-made instruments, even when the fit/finish of those instruments' mechanical parts are clearly inferior to Conn - is always more severe (in my personal experience) with Conn. Yes, my arm muscles prefer to remove dents from current-manufactured Conn sousaphones (as removal of individual dents require very little of my own physical strength with Conn), but (again) others typically require far less dent removal overall.
bloke

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction