Did I make a mistake? Bookmark and Share

Did I make a mistake?

Postby emoran » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:35 am

I have always had a length of clear tubing around the bell wire of my Bach 879 (O-99 equiv.), like Tygon, etc. Could this have any negative effect on the sound? I have never noticed a problem, but there has been a lot of talk about resonance lately here, so I thought I would ask. Thanks..
emoran
lurker
lurker

Re: Did I make a mistake?

Postby the elephant » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:47 am

These are pretty much considered to be a non-issue. Keep using it if you like. Discard it if bugs you. In some rare cases they seem to help dampen a large bell if it has a note or two that cause it to ring loudly when you stop playing. I have not personally experienced anything like this, though, so I can't attest to that.

Your mileage may vary.
I got nothin'…
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby windshieldbug » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:51 am

I always thought that it was a rim protector for when you rested the tuba on its bell... :shock:
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Postby bloke » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:25 pm

windshieldbug wrote:I always thought that it was a rim protector for when you rested the tuba on its bell... :shock:

...I completely agree with both previous posts.

I like the idea of them, but grew weary of occasionally having them come loose on stage (as the big-shiny-thing-that-doesn't-seem-to-be-able-to-count-rests-properly is ENOUGH of a spectacle up there - even WITHOUT visual mechanical failures). :P
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby emoran » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:12 pm

Thanks for all the info, I did originally put it on so it wouldn't fall over so easily , now I mostly watch that it doesn't turn green.
emoran
lurker
lurker

Postby the elephant » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:14 pm

I never knew them to be anything *other* than a rim protector. I was merely pointing out that some had noted that certain pitches that would ring loudly after you stopped playing would not do this if one of these was installed on the rim. It just keeps the rim nice if you have to play outdoors on cement a lot. I have to put my tuba down on the bell or in its side frequently, and anything other than our stage or something made to be used as a stage will scratch up the horn. One of these on the rim allows you to rest the horn on a soft, plastic cushion of sorts.

If you are looking for it, the clear stuff is called "leveling tube" and it is available at Home Depot.
I got nothin'…
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby iiipopes » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:49 am

In my experience, I have used clear plastic tubing on several instruments, including tubas, souzys, and euphs. It does all the above: damp overring, protect the rim from dings and knocks, and even though I don't balance my tuba on its bell, to cushion the bell as well, as when disassembling a souzy when putting it in its case. In order to prevent tubing from coming off, I use a hair dryer to heat and soften the tubing when curling it into position so that its tendency is to stay curled and stay put, rather than tending to straighten out and separate from the bell. Nothing new. Twenty-five years ago, a band director friend of mine whose primary instrument was bass bone had a M-W 11 that actually had a factory formed rim protector out of clear plastic installed on it.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 & B&H 3-valve comp w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby Three Valves » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:08 am

When I was born it was popular at the time to remove everyone’s rim protector. :cry:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction