Tools "starter kit"

Repair and modification discussion
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Tools "starter kit"

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

I'm attending Red Wing in the fall to begin my formal education in band instrument repair, however I want to begin gradually building up tools for a small home shop as soon as possible to get the ball rolling.

Thanks to a very generous friend of mine who is in the horn repair and manufacturing business. I now have a huge box of scrap brass instrument parts to use as practice for soldering, dent removal, etc. but as of right now I have virtually no tools to actually do anything with them.

As far as the bare necessities go, what would the tnfj consider a list of essentials for starting to practice some of these skills, and get my "shop" off the ground?
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Tools "starter kit"

Post by ASTuba »

If you're currently a student at Red Wing, I think the best place to start on what to accumulate would be to ask your teachers. You've got three really strong instructors there, each with a diverse background. Might not hurt to start there. Also, in this industry (I graduated from Repair School in 2004 and worked for a bit in the industry), there are a lot of tools that look and function similarly to each other, you just have to find what works best for you. For example, I much prefer Votaw's rollers to any that Ferree's has in their catalog. To each their own on everything. Hope this is helpful.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Thanks, Wade for not only the detailed list, but also the words of caution and encouragement. I know this is not an easy thing to get in to, but I feel ready to take it on.

Regarding Feree's Tools, I have already contacted them explaining my situation and am awaiting response once everyone there gets back from the holidays. I actually got a chance to talk with Curtis Ferree at one of the BAC clinics last year and it was a great experience to pick his brain about various instrument topics, but yes, that manual will be at the top of my list.

I'm already looking at shops I might want to work in upon graduation, I'm just also looking to slowly build up a small home shop as well.

ASTuba: I'm not at Red Wing just yet (starting in the fall of 2020) and I look forward to all of the great advice and council they'll offer there, I was just starting this thread as a way to get a bit of a primer before plunging full in when I go off to school.

ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ASTuba »

Got it, best of luck in school. They will probably send you a tool list of things they will want you to have at school. I remember mine from Renton and still use those things quite extensively.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

bloke wrote: :idea: :arrow: If you will cut up all of the treetops (left behind by the loggers) into firewood, haul all of that out of my woods and stack it, and drag all of the remaining brush and too-large wood into washes and ravines (erosion reversal tactics), I will - subsequently - train you for free. :lol: :P

Again: along with...
> dragging all of the related brush into washes, and
> wheelbarrowing all of the wood (that is too big to fool with splitting) off to ravines ("bombs away", etc.),

...cutting, hauling up out of the woods, transporting up to the house, and stacking this much (c. 1-1/2 trailer-loads of) stove-wood is probably enough to do per day. 8)
While this is most certainly a largely sarcastic proposition, be careful what you wish for, Bloke, as this might be the only scenario in which I can simultaneously apply my agriculture degree and my yet-to-be-acquired BIR certification. Takes my back to my ol' FFA days :lol:

Wyatt "who ain't above haulin' and chopin' some wood" Dozier

SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

bloke wrote:I doubt that you would dig the lack of praise and constant insisting on both attention to detail (the mantra that my own children mutter - while rolling their eyes - even to this day) and being an extremely quick study.
You're most likely correct there, I've never been known as a "quick study" but who knows? If I find myself hard up for an apprenticeship in a couple years and have a hankering for one of those legendary Bloke "sammiches" I may give you a call. :D

SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

bloke wrote:I’ll answer the phone.
8)

Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Who's a grinch?
Free to tuba: good home
shawnv
lurker
lurker

Post by shawnv »

I may be a bit late here but I'll throw in my two cents. I graduated last May and I am actively working in repair in Indianapolis (soon to be Cleveland).

1) If haven't heard or seen this yet I'll tell you now. The instructors have a tool list already. It includes dent hammers, screwdrivers, pliers, and other commonly used supplies. It's about $1200 total. They may have updated it since I was last there (I heard they were working on it). If I remember correctly they hand it out at orientation which is in May before you start I believe. I'm sure you can email the instructors and get the list ahead of time.

2) Tools that, while not needed, I bought or wish I had bought include Mini Long Nose Pliers, Bent Mini Long Nose Pliers, Linesman Pliers, Flush Rivet Slip Joint Pliers, Knipex 5" Parallel Pliers, Soft Jaw Pliers, Triangular Scraper (Machinist Scraper), Wiha Master Technician Screwdriver Set (expensive but nice), Rotary Tool (Dremel).

3) Some unsolicited advice. The teachers open the shops at 6am for students to come in and do either class work or extra projects. I highly, highly recommend taking advantage of this at the start. Bring horns with you and ask for help whenever your stuck. The staff is very knowledgeable and generous with there time. I didn't start doing this until beginning of the second semester and I regret not starting sooner. In that second semester I worked on several personal repairs, made several custom tools, learned additional things not covered in class, and made a bench motor for less than half the cost of buying one. I know getting up early sucks, especially if (like me) your working close to full time. But it's worth it. You really get out of it what you put into it.

I hope this is helpful and if you have any questions at all I'd be happy to help.
shawnv
lurker
lurker

Post by shawnv »

As a learner I could certainly see some areas for improvement in there program. I do wish there was more of an in class focus on PCs and there's certainly much to be gained from repetition and refining your process as a beginning tech. But I also think doing an overhaul of each instrument gives you a certain familiarity with each horn where you'll be able to more confidently diagnose whatever comes across your bench, even if you can't fix it on your own. I think Red Wing, WIT, or any of the other repair schools provide a good foundation to build upon, but ultimately to get beyond that introductory level requires what Bloke is saying.

I also think if anyone interested in repair can apprentice with a QUALIFIED and willing technician, that would also be a good way to get into the field. I started in High School this way and it gave me some helpful information for attending school but there was also a lot of bad repairs I was doing that I'm embarrassed about sending out the door now. This is why I emphasize a QUALIFIED tech. It's also why I'd rather say I'm new to the field, I learned more in 1 year at Red Wing than I did in 5 years as an apprentice.
shawnv
lurker
lurker

Post by shawnv »

I may be ignorant in this area as I've never done a "formal apprenticeship" but I thought that people did pay to apprentice under someone? The person learning is effectively getting lesson in instrument repair. I would've thought an apprentice pay for every hour they were working because the teacher is taking time they could be making money to teach the apprentice.

When I started it was a more unique situation. One day after a lesson I asked the owner of the music shop if he was hiring, thinking I'd be doing customer service, cleaning the store front, maybe scheduling lessons, regular menial labor befitting a HS students first job. Owner said sure and told me meet him at a local school to do some work for them. We ended up cleaning and fixing music stands but after that he started showing me a bit here and bit there (while I was performing those other duties I mentioned earlier). Overall a great experience. Best job I could've asked for at the time.

Getting back to the OP's original question a couple more things worth getting. Butane Hand torch (good for working at home), cutting surface (I recommend a hockey puck or rubberized drum pad), and The Complete Manual for Woodwind Repair by Reg Thorp (can be purchased from I believe Allied Supply once your a student or from NAPBIRT if your a member.