Yamaha 621 bell swap

Repair and modification discussion
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Yamaha 621 bell swap

Post by MikeMason »

I’ve owned a yfb 621 f for a couple years now(also 25 years ago for a few years). I love the playability, compact size, and it’s lack of f tuba weird embouchure requirements. My main complaint (there are always pros and cons), has been sound, especially low register, and resonance. I found with a big mouthpiece and daily fundamentals time, many of my complaints were lessened( the fundamentals will allow you to like most any horn better,of course). I will also say the sound recorded,specifically with my brass quintet,sounds better than I perceive from under the bell. I’ve always thought the Yamaha Bobo, yfb 622(822?), had the perfect solution with its bigger bell, but are very scarce, and expensive.( disclaimer-never played one). I think Tom of Mack Brass has the solution! The bell he requested for the 621c clone/upgrade fits and works beautifully on the yfb621 f. It lined up and soldered right on. Only small modification needed was due to the leadpipe not lining up perfectly flush with receiver brace with new larger bell. This turned into a plus, providing a chance to bring the leadpipe off the bell for, presumably, more resonance. I hear from Tom that he believes this bell will work on c, b flat, and f versions of the Yamaha 621 series, and probably all it’s clones. I would consider it a major improvement, and I definitely enjoy playing the horn more now. Maybe Tom will chime in with price and availability. Pic to follow(after 20+ years on Tubenet, I still don’t know how to do pics). It is 16” instead of 14 3/8” btw
Last edited by MikeMason on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo