Valve Stem Threads

Repair and modification discussion
shawnv
lurker
lurker

Valve Stem Threads

Post by shawnv »

Hello All,

Sorry if this topic has been brought up but I don't seem to see it. I'm new to repair and modification and was wondering if anyone had, or knows where I can find, a listing of the common threadings for tuba valve stems.

I can be reached directly at shawncv95@gmail.com" target="_blank if that is preferred by anyone.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Valve Stem Threads

Post by roweenie »

I would agree Dan would most of the info on this topic.

I can say that every Grand Rapids (USA manufacture) York I've seen or owned are garden-variety 1/4-20 threads. 1/4" nickel silver rod works nicely to make new stems.

B&M York(master) threads are likely metric, I'd have to check and get back to you (but I'll bet Dan knows what's on them, too).

German fingerbutton threads usually seem to be 4mm?
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
shawnv
lurker
lurker

Post by shawnv »

Thanks for the tips everyone. I do own a lathe so drilling some stock won't be too much of an issue.

This may be better as another topic but is there any special considerations I should take if I'm looking to make a replacement button?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I like to use King stems as replacements. They have a 1/4-28 thread and in most cases the pistons have to be retapped. Not a big deal.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.