Besson 3 valve compensating tuba on FB

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Besson 3 valve compensating tuba on FB

Post by BrassedOn »

This is not my horn. But popped up in my FB.

In Galveston TX.

3 Valve Compensating tuba. Ad doesn’t mention compensating but you can see the 3rd valve tubing double back to the first valve and a little nub of the extra 1st valve compensating tubings.

Ad says Bb tuba and the wrap seems to match images online for a ‘77, this looks ‘60s to me, but from the relative bell size could this be Eb?. But I’m not a besson expert.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 162808958/

I used to have a 3v compensating Besson British baritone and id have to say it was a pretty good system.
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Besson 3 valve compensating tuba on FB

Post by humBell »

Not an expert either (unless one is very generous with that label), but pretty sure Eb does not have a second wrap under the top bow, so i'd be confident in confirming it as low Bb.
Thanks for playing!
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

Yup Bb and pretty nice condition. Fair price. I've owned one, good players.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

+1. I also owned one years ago. Great tone and intonation for something like community band where you don't need the low near-pedal register below F below open low BBb. Because of the comp loops, you can play G and D 3rd valve alone without lipping, as the primary loops on the 1st and 2nd valves are tuned "dead," causing 1+2 can be slightly sharp. They work best with the Wick 1 mouthpiece which was designed for Besson BBb tubas. As you can see from the pictures, it is not good to stand the tuba on its 17-inch bell. It knocks over very easily.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.