repairable?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Brassdad
4 valves
4 valves

repairable?

Post by Brassdad »

Am looking for a low priced tuba to move my son up from a 3 valve to 4.
Was wondering if this were salvageable and if costs would keep it below $1000 is winning bid stays within $500 range?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NO-NAME-TUBA-for-pr ... dZViewItem
New Breed, Old Breed! It doesn't matter so long as it's the Marine Breed!
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

I would stay away. This appears to have some significant damage to the linkage with potential valve damage. I would expect a play condition to take more than $1000 on this.
King 2341 (one piece)
Besson 983
Brassdad
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Brassdad »

thanks guys
New Breed, Old Breed! It doesn't matter so long as it's the Marine Breed!
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I'll have to second the opinions of some of the other posters. Unless you are a repairman and have parts sources for this horn, I would stay away. Other than the obvious things, I think this horn is probalby a very good candidate for a new bell. It looks like the old one has been worked over a few times and may even have a rim grafted to the outer 3 inches or so. The seller is also listing a Mifafone 186 with two broken rotor stems and a wrecked bell in another auction. I think even a play condition (with a new bell) of either of these horns could run as high as $1,700 if you have to pay a repairman to perform the work.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.