York Sousaphone on Ebay--Questions for the experts.

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
cheburashka
bugler
bugler

York Sousaphone on Ebay--Questions for the experts.

Post by cheburashka »

OK, I'll ask this knowing full well that I'm drawing everyone's attention to the horn I plan to bid on and driving up the price. Oh well. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7353728540 An ancient and somewhat dissheveled York sousaphone. My questions: 1) Why ain't anyone bidding? 2) Eb or BBb? I'm looking at small intestine-looking thing right past the valves thinking hey, maybe it's BBb. 3) That specially-modified aerodynamic tubing between the valve cluster and the bell--that's a faux tube right? Meaning that it won't affect the sound, but also that I'll never be able to get a dent ball in there to make it round again? 4) Is it a good Sousa? Smaller or bigger than most? Sound qualities? Intonation?

I appreciate whatever information you can provide.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

My guess is 1) Not much info given, but auctions often go down to the last few minutes to get serious, so if you like it, BE PREPARED. Maybe nothing will happen, but then again, it may. 2)Looks to be an Eb 3) Correct, it's blind and "not functional", but a good repairperson can unsolder it (open it up) and make it right. 4) It's always hard to tell what you're getting when you can't play it.
cheburashka
bugler
bugler

Awww, you went and ruined it.

Post by cheburashka »

Great. I direct you to a picture of the tuba equivalent of an overweight grandmother with leprosy and you post THAT! "Just a bit of care and she can look just like Pamela Anderson!!" Now somebody went and bid the York up over $100.

Oh well--I didn't need another Eb anyway.
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Or a rack like that, must have been a custom job........I wonder if they are silver or brass.......
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
cheburashka
bugler
bugler

DD tuba

Post by cheburashka »

No, I was talking about a HorN. With an "N" on the end!!
windshieldbug

Re: York Sousaphone on Ebay--Questions for the experts.

Post by windshieldbug »

cheburashka wrote:OK, I'll ask this knowing full well that I'm drawing everyone's attention to the horn I plan to bid on and driving up the price...
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

cheburashka wrote:OK, I'll ask this knowing full well that I'm drawing everyone's attention to the horn I plan to bid on and driving up the price. Oh well. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7353728540 An ancient and somewhat dissheveled York sousaphone. My questions: 1) Why ain't anyone bidding? 2) Eb or BBb? I'm looking at small intestine-looking thing right past the valves thinking hey, maybe it's BBb. 3) That specially-modified aerodynamic tubing between the valve cluster and the bell--that's a faux tube right? Meaning that it won't affect the sound, but also that I'll never be able to get a dent ball in there to make it round again? 4) Is it a good Sousa? Smaller or bigger than most? Sound qualities? Intonation?

I wouldn't worry about the price being bid up too much. A 3 valve Eb sousaphone is just not in that much demand these days. The most I would expect this to sell for would be around $300. I see no reason to touch the tubing between the valve cluster and the bell. It has no function other than support, and by being flattened out might even be more comfortable on the shoulder.

The biggest risk with something like this is the state of the valves. They are likely to be worn and leaky, making intonation and tone suspect. You could have them redone for around $500 and it would play like new. It doesn't look like there is any other obvious work that would have to be done on this. Buying "blind" like this I would expect to have to pay for a valve job and factor that into whether it's worth it to you.
King 2341 (one piece)
Besson 983
Mark

Post by Mark »

cheburashka wrote: 2) Eb or BBb? ... 3) That specially-modified aerodynamic tubing between the valve cluster and the bell--that's a faux tube right?
I'm not an expert on sousaphones; but I think any time the sousaphone has that fake tube on top you can safely assume it's an Eb.

Do the experts agree?
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Mark wrote:I'm not an expert on sousaphones; but I think any time the sousaphone has that fake tube on top you can safely assume it's an Eb.

Do the experts agree?
I don't know about the experts, but as for myself, I would say it would be HARD (but not impossible, using a LOT of U-turns) to wrap anything but an Eb that way. And I can't recall any BBb done like that. Bloke's F helicon, on the other hand...