Fritz Horst - tuba

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Brassdad
4 valves
4 valves

Fritz Horst - tuba

Post by Brassdad »

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-NICE-GRAND-SIZ ... dZViewItem

Here I am again with questions to the experts about an ebay horn. (yes money is tight)

This particular tuba is the subject of a thread in another forum here at TubeNet, so I'll avoid going the direction that one is and just ask if anyone is familiar with the make of this one.
Also, how do you "speed up" a sluggish 4th valve?

Got luck with the purchase of an old 1920 Conn with 3 top piston valves a year ago before I knew about TubaNet. Trying to make a good deal for a 4 valve now that I have access to deep thinkers :lol:
New Breed, Old Breed! It doesn't matter so long as it's the Marine Breed!
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

That 'sluggish 4th valve' could be a lot of things ranging from just dirt and/or mineral deposits to a bad spring to bent linkage... all of which are fairly easy to fix. There is a chance the rotor shaft is bent, the back cap is miss-aligned or the casing has a ding in it.

It's hard to say where the tuba originated or the manufacturer because there isn't much detail in the photos. However, I would venture a guess that the horn is Czech or Russian. That funky brace between the main tuning slide and the bottom branch looks like my Walter Sear-Cerveny (Czech).
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Clockspring rotaries are hard to tell; the regularly sprung valves are much simpler to diagnose this part of the world; could just be a bad spring, but only the pros can tell you who could fix it if it is...
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Judging that the 4th valve isn't up against the stop, my money's on a bad spring. These old clocksprings can break when they get old. Fortunately, it's a simple repar.