YBB-103--Valves reversed?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
cheburashka
bugler
bugler

YBB-103--Valves reversed?

Post by cheburashka »

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-YBB-103-TUBA ... 7356074837

This looks to me like a convertible horn that can do OTS marching as well as upright. How do they work that out in the valves? For an OTS horn, 1st valve is closest to the bottom bow, but for a concert horn, 1st valve is at the top. I see there's some kind of split tubing receiver. Does that redirect things somehow? Very confusing to me.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

I don't believe that these horns were convertable for marching. This doesn't have an extra "marching" leadpipe. The top action versions were, but in that case you just accessed the valves from the side rather than the top. I seem to remember the 103 as just being 3/4 sized "concert" horn, but I could be wrong.
King 2341 (one piece)
Besson 983
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Convertible

Post by Uncle Buck »

I agree with Lew that this does not appear to be a convertible tuba.

However, on a Conn convertible with front action (side action for OTS playing) valves, the first and third valve slides are interchangeable, so you just have to swap them depending on what kind of playing you're doing.
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

Re: YBB-103--Valves reversed?

Post by Paul S »

cheburashka wrote:How do they work that out in the valves? For an OTS horn, 1st valve is closest to the bottom bow, but for a concert horn, 1st valve is at the top. I see there's some kind of split tubing receiver. Does that redirect things somehow? Very confusing to me.
The Yamaha 103 is not a convertible.

We did have CONN 15J Convertibles at the University of Cincinnati back in the early 1980s that looked somewhat similar enough to answer your basic question though.

In order to switch back and forth between concert and marching style on those you would just change lead pipes and then swap the first and third valve slides as they were interchangeable.

For me, I much preferred running the section while playing the 1950s Sousaphones we had as the sound on those convertibles were too laser like in directionality.
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
Principal Tubist, Grand Lake Symphony
B&S PT-606 CC - Yamaha YFB-621 F
SSH Mouthpieces http://sshmouthpieces.com/" target="_blank
cheburashka
bugler
bugler

I see why I was confused.

Post by cheburashka »

I guess I was confused because the valves are inline and close to the bottom bow, and the leadpipe goes into the third valve rather than the first. I've seen that on compensating horns, but I don't believe I've ever seen a non-compensating horn that had the tubing entering into the third valve--at least not piston-valved.

6.10 bore. That seems mighty small!
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

In fact, it doesn't make any difference which valve the leadpipe enters--I've seen at least one horn with the leadpipe going into the second valve.

These little 103's are small-bore, but easy players and very lightweight. The bell and large bows are basically the same as you'd find on the YBB-621. Most often, the leadpipe on these takes a lot of bad treatment, but replacements can be had.

IMOHO, they play better than the top-action 104 and 105.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Got one of these in the shop now with a badly rotted leadpipe. No... It's not a convertible horn.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
artuba
bugler
bugler

Post by artuba »

Definately not. I started out playing the same model horn back in the middle school days.
Matt Simpson
Phi Mu Alpha - Kappa Eta Chapter
Bluecoats Contra- '07 '08 '09
Arkansas Tech Tuba/Euph Ensemble

"There are two kinds of tuba songs: love songs, and pirate songs." - Roger Bobo
tubatooter1940
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tubatooter1940 »

schlepporello wrote: I was considering a custom recovering job for the hard case it came with,
Duct tape?
We pronounce it Guf Coast
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

tubatooter1940 wrote:Duct tape?
And when the terrorists attack, you and the family can just crawl inside the case! :D

(Don't forget the WD40, for when you want to get out again... )
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

schlepporello wrote:I have shoes bigger than this case. :wink:
OK, so duct tape one of your shoes and get in when the threat level turns "mauve"... :P
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
tubaguy9
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubaguy9 »

schlepporello wrote:We've got a Jr. High kid (a 2nd-year "wonder") who recently joined our orchestra at church. He brought one of these to church today and I took it upon myself to make sure it was in good working order seeing as the kid doesn't even know how to oil valves yet. I must admit, I was truly surprised by this horn. I didn't expect something that small to be that easy blowing and have the kind of volume I was able to crank out with it. As far as three valve horns are concerned, I liked it way better than the old Buescher that I used to have. It was very small and super light, I think it'd be great for small groups or Christmas caroling. I was impressed at how the valve section was easily removable, I told the kid that they did this so that the repairmen could fix them easier after kids like him screwed 'em up (I try to help promote self esteem whenever I can). I'll admit, the only Yamaha I've ever been impressed with before was built in 1972 and had a 650cc engine in it. After I get my truck payments a little more to my liking, I might just try to pick one of these up.

My only gripes are:

1. that it just doesn't have the resonance or presence of my Miraphone. But then again, it won't. It's just too small.

2. the valves are too close together and the thumb ring is too small. Then again, the horn isn't designed for someone who's 48 years old and stands 6' 8" tall. It's designed for a kid.

3. It's got them stinkin' plastic valve guides. I'm not sure howreliable these things are or how long they last, but these don't impress me much at the moment.
Your number 3...Our school has upright Yammies, and the valve guides are the plastic with metal reinforcement rings. So, the guides are pretty much rings around the valve button, with a sticky-out thingy. As far as my experience, IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!
If you twisted the valve button at all, the the guide will displace itself, and you have an unplayable horn, until you fix the valve guide, and it sucks like crazy.
I think I might end up as a grumpy old man when I get old...
tubaguy9
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubaguy9 »

schlepporello wrote:Which is why I was pleasantly surprised to see brass valve guides on this Yammerhammer I got on Ebay. Even more pleased to find no thumb ring to get in my way. :wink:
Were the brass valve guides 'rings' around the valve stems, or actually attached to the valve?
tubaguy9
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubaguy9 »

schlepporello wrote:They've got a little reccessed place in the top of the piston and have a machine screw going down through the center of it.
Okay...it has a screw going through it...I hope it's not like the ones we have... :x but, if it's screwed into place, it's fine.
tubaguy9
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubaguy9 »

Oh, and I was thinking about the convertables...
Well, if they convert with front mount valves, that might not be so awkward, but it's REALLY awkward if they're top-mount valves.