King 4 valve tuba

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Brassdad
4 valves
4 valves

King 4 valve tuba

Post by Brassdad »

Yes, back again trolling for opinions and knowledge.

One day I will buy a tuba, promise.

This is on ebay and, was looking at it as compared to the $1250.00 Con 5J.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

The king has an unknown reserve, and needs dent/bell work plus a valve fix, but as setimated repairs to the 5J could cross $600 I am seeking experienced thoughts and opinions.
Last edited by Brassdad on Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
New Breed, Old Breed! It doesn't matter so long as it's the Marine Breed!
Brassdad
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Brassdad »

realize that looking at a limited photo or two does not compare to verbal description or on hand inspection, but any idea on what could be effecting the 3rd valve?
what about rough idea on bell work?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Brassdad wrote: any idea on what could be effecting the 3rd valve?
what about rough idea on bell work?
Hard to say about the #3 valve. Could be something as simple as a bent stem or a rough piston guide/groove. Might be a ding in the valve casing or a bind caused by pressure on a bent valve circuit tube. Rolling the bell and other repairs might be as little as $50. ... or could be as much as several hundred.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I had my eye on that one too, but I forgot to check it again today. The sticking valve could be caused by a lot of things, as mentioned above. Sometimes a brace can come loose, causing stress on the valve, bending it out of round. Re-soldering the brace sometimes can solve the problem. Whatever it is, I think it could be fixed without much trouble. The bell could be smoothed out, but probably would get messed up again pretty quickly. Those King bells are just too big and tall for their own good. Some day I'd like to graft the bell from a Yamaha YBB321 or YBB221 onto a King. The tuning slide might need to be extended a bit, but the result would be a more portable instrument.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Well... the auction is over. It looks like this one is gonna be cut to a CC.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Brassdad
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Brassdad »

Well, glad it's staying a BBb. Just sorry I had to drop out of the bidding. The excitement of auctions.

Guess you'll still see me asking questions on old tubas for some time longer.

Oh, here's one...
Why do most tubeists play front valve tubas vice vertical valve ones?
The fact that this is what "every one" plays is why I'm looking for a "new tuba" over the old 3 upright Conn.
Last edited by Brassdad on Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brassdad
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Brassdad »

bloke wrote:
Well, glad it's staying a BBb.
The fourth space open G wouldn't have been any closer to down to pitch than is the fourth line open F. :roll:

bloke "just a bit more under control with the similar Olds/Reynolds detach-bell 4/4's, but not totally solved"
THe non music dad says What?
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Brassdad wrote:Why do most tubeists play front valve tubas vice vertical valve ones?
Ergonomics. Has to do with the angle of the hand and the angle of the horn v. the angle of the valve. And 4 valves don't work as well at all without using your other hand. 'Course you're only looking for 3, but on a front valve horn you have a thumb ring to get leverage from. Harder to do on a top action. On front action you have your arm wrapped around the horn. Top action you're just behind it, so it's less secure. And you may want to pick which side of the horn your bell is on. Front action horns work well in a section with rotary valve horns, too. With top action, you're more likely to butt bells. In an orchestra, if something big is to your left, same thing.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
ArnoldGottlieb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ArnoldGottlieb »

Top action versus front? If that's the reason to buy a tuba, I'd save the money for lessons. http://www.draaiomjeoren.com/images2/02 ... 81x640.jpg or this http://www.mp3.com/howard-johnson/artis ... mmary.html some people call these guys "legends"...........Peace. ASG[/img]
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

harold wrote:
TubaTinker wrote:Well... the auction is over. It looks like this one is gonna be cut to a CC.
Dan,

I'm the winning bidder and have no interest in cutting this to a CC. It is a much better horn as a BBb - once I replace the torn bell.
Oops! Sorry, Harold. The last bid I saw was 'tubabusco'. I think that's the fellow in northern who's so good at making custom CC horns.

BTW... Harold & Bloke... the key word in the statement suggesting the $50 repairs is "MIGHT be as little as $50". Most certainly don't get off that cheaply, but you've gotta admit that sometimes the damage that appears the worst is sometimes the easiest to fix.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"