It's a brand new classic!

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

Do you think that you could play this helicon?

Maybe, if I held it upside down and played it left-handed.
4%
Maybe, if I paid extravagant sums of money to an expert repair person.
17%
I think I could probably play it well enough to annoy my neighbors.
61%
For get about silver or lacquer. Give me chrome!
17%

Total votes: 23

Daryl Fletcher
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Daryl Fletcher »

Chuck(G) wrote:
Daryl Fletcher wrote:...or maybe the same person who answers the phone when you need computer support these days.
Oh, you mean the folks who identify themselves as "David Wayne" or "Samantha Johnson".
So you've talked to them too. :)

Lew wrote:I wrote to the seller and he said that there are tuning bits that come with it that are not shown in the photos...
That certainly does clear up some things.

On the other hand, I have also seen pictures of sousaphones that have their bell on backwards, which somehow seems to lend credibility to windshieldbug's theory.

tubariffic wrote: I may just buy one of these to prove it's not that horrible.
Let us know if you decide to take the plunge. I think that a lot of us are more curious than anything and would like to find out how they really play.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

tubariffic wrote: The lack of a gooseneck on this one is not a big issue, that's a super easy modification for a person with any modicum of repair ability. I may just buy one of these to prove it's not that horrible.
Modicum or not, there is no way on God's green earth that I'd want to work on a an instrument that's chromium plated. Solder won't stick to it--you have to sand said plating off to get a solderable surface. In my experience, the valves on Indian-made instruments are nothing short of dreadful.

Let's see $575 for the horn + $175 shipping = $750 for a chrome-plated wall hanger that's going to need work to make it playable. Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me!
Daryl Fletcher
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Daryl Fletcher »

Matt Higgins wrote:I think I might just weld a couple of these to the side of my car and send the video tape to "Pimp my Ride."
An accessory with this much chrome would certainly be a nice addition to any vehicle.

Would you suggest it as a replacement for the car horn, the subwoofer, or both?
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Bandmaster »

I can't believe that you ALL missed the other great feature of the horn... NO TUNING SLIDES! Look closely at all the valve tubing! Exactly how would you adjust the pitch of this horn? But then maybe they don't actually tune their instruments in India? :shock:
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

Bandmaster wrote:I can't believe that you ALL missed the other great feature of the horn... NO TUNING SLIDES! Look closely at all the valve tubing! Exactly how would you adjust the pitch of this horn? But then maybe they don't actually tune their instruments in India? :shock:
Maybe this is one of those instruments which was "tuned at the factory."
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

TubaRay wrote:
Bandmaster wrote:I can't believe that you ALL missed the other great feature of the horn... NO TUNING SLIDES! Look closely at all the valve tubing! Exactly how would you adjust the pitch of this horn? But then maybe they don't actually tune their instruments in India? :shock:
Maybe this is one of those instruments which was "tuned at the factory."
That would be a great time-saver! :roll: :P
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

What, you've never heard of hand-stopping?
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Chuck(G) wrote:
What, you've never heard of hand-stopping?
Is that the Indian equivalent of "talk to the hand!" ?
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

Chuck(G) wrote: What, you've never heard of hand-stopping?
Is that the Indian equivalent of "talk to the hand!" ?[/quote]

Probably not!!!
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Get rid of that bulldog and mount it on the hood of your truck, Schlepp!
Daryl Fletcher
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Daryl Fletcher »

I would suggest that schlepporello put it in front of his big rig's radiator like a wreath and decorate it with Christmas lights. That way we would all know that it's him when he's driving down the road. Not only that, it would almost be tasteful.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure that I would recommend mounting it bell-forward for use as a hood ornament. Just imagine what would happen if it came lose while traveling at high speeds. Oh, no! Here it comes!
Brassdad
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Brassdad »

MartyNeilan wrote:Get rid of that bulldog and mount it on the hood of your truck, Schlepp!
who wants to remove ME!?
New Breed, Old Breed! It doesn't matter so long as it's the Marine Breed!
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

MartyNeilan wrote:Get rid of that bulldog and mount it on the hood of your truck, Schlepp!
Woof!
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Woofforello!!

8)
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Bandmaster »

Well, we just got to get these two together....

Heliwoof
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon