Selling on eBay???

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
DCottrell
bugler
bugler

Post by DCottrell »

When I signed up for a seller's account, they asked for a credit card#, but no bank account info. Granted, that was about 6 or 7 years ago. The credit card is used to pay for fees that eBay charges when you list and sell an item. I don't think you have any other liability as far as eBay is concerned, unless you use one of their escrow services. I don't know why they would want a bank #.

Make sure the web site you think is eBay is actually eBay. There should be a little padlock on your browser's screen somewhere that indicates that it is a secure site. Also, before clicking on any links, usually in spam email, look at the URL that pops up and compare it to URL's you are familiar with. Many spoof sites use addresses exactly the same as eBay, but need to insert something in the address before the "http//ebay." part of the address. (for example, "http://ronsmail/myebay.com/ ....".These are the unsecure sites.

EBay is pretty good about informing you of how to report and avoid spoof sites. Also, they have several options that protect sellers, such as the ability to reject bids from certain bidders, if they have negative or no feedback, for example.

I have sold and bought many things on eBay and do not have any problems with security. Any problems I have had concerned individuals with whom I was dealing and not with eBay itself. They are pretty good about answering email questions (I would confirm that they want a bank#), though they do work on banker's hours.

Good luck !I hope this helps.
trseaman
4 valves
4 valves

Post by trseaman »

You can also use a "debit card" as long as it has credit card capabilities and it'll deduct money right from your checking account. They have made it sooo easy to take your money!

Regards, Tim
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

DP wrote:E-Bay's fine, just make sure you're on a secured site when transmitting info thats risk-related important to you, and, get this...never EVER reply to an e-mail suggesting you need to upgrade your account information
I would go one step further, never reply to any eBay related email from your email account. Go to ebay.com and log in then reply from the "my ebay" page.
King 2341 (one piece)
Besson 983
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Hi, LV!

I've been buying and selling on Ebay for several years without any problems. As Joe mentioned... there are plenty of fraudulent activities going on. NEVER respond to anything that is proported to have been sent by Ebay or PayPal as they will never ask you for credit card numbers via emails. Don't buy into any 'second chance' offers. And... don't send anyone quasi-cash such as Western Union. Don't accept cashier's checks. They can be fake. I guess the bottom line is... Ebay is just fine. It's all the other a**holes that can make problems!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
WilliamVance
bugler
bugler

Post by WilliamVance »

I have had pretty good luck buying and selling on e-bay. It's a great tool. I can't think of an easier way to buy or sell a tuba. 10 years ago before I had any clue about e-bay I wanted to buy a sousaphone and had no idea how to obtain an affordable one.

You just have to remember that sometimes a deal may be too good to be true. My last e-bay purchase was a georgeous 20K sousaphone... I cleaned it all up and put it together.

When I played it the horn sounded very muffled and it was terribly hard to play. Further analysis with a web cam taped to a willow brand with a flash light revealed there is a large dent bullet or a piece of metal of equivelant size about 4 feet inside of it. Now I get to take it to the pros for removal... It should be a gret horn when it's out though. But it goes to show you that not all things are as they seem.

The seller wouldnt' have known about this since the horn looked like it was stored for almost as long as it is old...so I didn't bother him. I took it as is. It's now my responsible.