Somebody Stop Me!

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Watch out for some of those second chance offers. Real ones go through eBay, and you buy on the ebay site. Ones that ask you to reply to an address off ebay are likely nothing but trouble, though they use an eBay looking form to hook you. My .02
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I checked the item you are talking about and it shows the winning bid to be $1,500 entered by 'hannacroix'. There don't appear to have been any retractions. I think you are being scammed by a third party. Why don't you email the seller and the winning bidder and find out for sure.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
cheburashka
bugler
bugler

It's a scam.

Post by cheburashka »

Still a scam.

They cut and past a Second-Chance-Offer email from Ebay and send it to you. If it's a real SCO, they'll set up an actual auction that only you can bid on. You'll do it all through Ebay, just as if it were a regular seven day auction, but there will be a fixed price of $1200.

If it were legit, you'd know. You'd have an auction number for the actual SCO.

I got three fake SCOs on a scam auction for a Shires trombone that I bid on with a fake account. They're getting sneakier.
billeuph
bugler
bugler

careful!

Post by billeuph »

Fake second chance offers that I've received have been pretty slick. Be very careful. The only way to be sure is to go back to the auction page and contact the seller directly, and also the high bidder, to confirm.

Better yet, wait a while and find a better deal. This is a very common euphonium (not baritone)- a Yamaha YEP 321S (that's and S not an 8 as the seller claims). Search for others. There is one in the final day of auction right now for $900, though it will probably go higher. Without inspecting the euph to be sure of its condition, I would consider $1200 to be a bit high for an Ebay horn, given the risks of dealing with Ebay sellers.

Bill Anderson
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

Also, if you have responded to the 'second chance offer' by responding in any way to the email, immediately change your ebay password! Only respond to offers by going to "my eBay" and replying to messages that show up there. If the message isn't there it's not legit.

$1200 isn't a bad price for this horn if it's in as good shape as described. Not a steal, but a reasonable price. Still, the vast majority of second chance offers are scams.
King 2341 (one piece)
Besson 983
Brassdad
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Brassdad »

glad you made the chioce not to go there.
Recently I had bid on 6 different tubas within a weeks time (Miraphones, Yamahas, Conn, B&S) with each auction going past my high bid.
less than 48 hours after the last one ended, I received a SCO on each one :roll: .
What's more, although each tuba was listed by a different seller, all the SCOs came from the same address. I queried 2 of the sellers I'd have prefered to buy directly through ebay and received puzzeled responses indicating the sales had already gone through to the high bidder.
What's more these were followed up by ebay notice not to respond to the SCO.
Seems someone is watching the high priced items and working the system. They just seem to have gotten sloppy/greedy in my case.
I'm just glad that it wasn't just one offer or I might have bit. :cry:
New Breed, Old Breed! It doesn't matter so long as it's the Marine Breed!
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DonShirer »

Several years ago, when I was new to EbAY (and naiver), I was the second bidder on a YEB 621, and received a second chance offer when the highest bidder backed out. The offer was from a music store and after making sure that he was the original seller, I did accept the offer (and did receive the horn). Nowadays, with scams more common, I don't think I would respond without some sort of escrow payment arrangement.
Don Shirer
Westbrook, CT
WilliamVance
bugler
bugler

Post by WilliamVance »

I received a secondchance offer before an item ended that I was bidding on, and I won the item anyways... Be real careful before paying for anything on a second change.