What's the catch?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

What's the Catch?

No catch, awesome instrument
No votes
This is probably one screwed up instrument
5%
It's a hoax
95%

Total votes: 21

quinterbourne
4 valves
4 valves

What's the catch?

Post by quinterbourne »

Or are a thousand people sitting and waiting to pounce?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

bloke wrote: The webmaster (first thread in this section) requests that I not go further.
I have been wondering about that. I understand that Sean does not want rambling and ranting and raving about scandals, but wouldn't it be nice to warn people if there really was?

I hope this doesn't heat up conversation, but it is something I have been wondering about, and would like to understand a little better.

Nick
trseaman
4 valves
4 valves

Post by trseaman »

It's a private auction for some reason, therefore the bidders names are hidden. The sellers ID is there along with his feedback history. Not really sure though... Something seems a little fishy but I do think there are tons of people waiting to bid! The final results will be interesting...
quinterbourne
4 valves
4 valves

Post by quinterbourne »

Ok, It's a good thing I did not bid. Now that I think about it I see many clues that lead to the obvious. There's really nothing we can do to warn a buyer, since we can't see the buyers' ID. I did send an email to ebay customer support, but who knows how much help that will do.

Sorry for posting this, I didn't realize this is what an Ebay Scandal was. Let's be berry berry quiet.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

A cursory check of the seller's ID says that they've never sold anything before, just bought...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

"This instrument "new" retails for $13,000 and generally sells for around $10,500, not including a case"

"Current bid: US $1,550.00 (Reserve met)"

"Item location: if you have any questions e-mail me"

Naw, nothing fishy here... :roll:
quinterbourne
4 valves
4 valves

Post by quinterbourne »

Ok, I didn't realize at the time that this is what is defined as an "Ebay Scandal" and since the owner of this forum does not want posts on this subject I request that no further posts be made to this topic, which I created.

I do appreciate all the help you guys gave me, though!

thanks
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

I may be wrong, but I don't think this is an "eBay scandal"; I expect those are deals where someone feels they got ripped off in what could be defined as a legitimate business deal. Like "So-and-so said they'd buy, but didn't follow through", or 'The horn I got was nowhere as good as they said it was... ".

I think that asking if you should take a chance on someone who's never sold anything and has a reserve set $10,000 too low IS a legitimate question, and I think this is a good place to get a straight answer. If I'm wrong, then it's STILL a good place for someone to have a PM conversation with you about it, and this is still a good place to ask!...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
trseaman
4 valves
4 valves

Post by trseaman »

I agree,

It's the friends helping friends thing... Someone has to watchout for us tuba players, might as well be us!

Tim
trseaman
4 valves
4 valves

Post by trseaman »

Be nice...

This is the unit patch for the 210th FA. The unit I was stationed with while in Germany. The base was Herzo Base which is near Nurnberg. In the mid-90's most of the bases in Germany were given back to the Germans. So... This base is now owned by Adidas as their world headquarters!

Tim
quinterbourne
4 valves
4 valves

Post by quinterbourne »

Just FYI, this item was "sold" to some sucker in the amount of $1,820. Pretty good for something that retails for $13,000...
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by sc_curtis »

I am the sucker who won the bid on this item. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

I figured I had nothing to lose, we'll see!
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by sc_curtis »

You know, I thought about that before I bid...I used ebay a lot back in college, but I don't really use it anymore. I'm not sure I'm too worried about my feedback score anymore. Just trying to shake things up a little...

And who knows, if this turns out to be legit, I just got one heck of a deal!
clagar777
3 valves
3 valves

Post by clagar777 »

sc_curtis wrote:I am the sucker who won the bid on this item. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

I figured I had nothing to lose, we'll see!
DOH!
Mark

Post by Mark »

harold wrote:Nobody has mentioned the payment methods used for this sale - both of which should set off some alarms.
Money Orders or Cashier's Checks
Also, as was mentioned earlier, the feedback on the seller was almost all as a buyer. Plus, more than half of the feedbacks were from the same seller.
quinterbourne
4 valves
4 valves

Post by quinterbourne »

sc_curtis wrote:You know, I thought about that before I bid...I used ebay a lot back in college, but I don't really use it anymore. I'm not sure I'm too worried about my feedback score anymore. Just trying to shake things up a little...

And who knows, if this turns out to be legit, I just got one heck of a deal!
What will happen is:

You mail the check/money order and you wait for the instrument to arrive... your whole life.

I would definitely not send any money in the mail until you get your hands on the instrument first.

For 1,800 you WILL NOT get the instrument. Don't send the money until you get it! This means, never send the money, cause you'll never get the instrument.

However, if you were planning on burning the 1800 in your fireplace, then go for it.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

quinterbourne wrote:
What will happen is:

You mail the check/money order and you wait for the instrument to arrive... your whole life.

I would definitely not send any money in the mail until you get your hands on the instrument first.

For 1,800 you WILL NOT get the instrument. Don't send the money until you get it! This means, never send the money, cause you'll never get the instrument.

However, if you were planning on burning the 1800 in your fireplace, then go for it.
I think what sc_curtis meant (or at least implied), what that he intends to contact the seller and arrange to complete the transaction in-person.

If the seller refuses, then sc_curtis can write the whole thing off, and not care if the seller leaves him negative feedback.

Let me know, sc, if I've mischaracterized your intentions.

Seems like a reasonable course of action to me, assuming an in-person pick-up is feasible. (I think any one of us would make it feasible if this did turn out to be legit.)
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Uncle Buck wrote:Seems like a reasonable course of action to me, assuming an in-person pick-up is feasible.
Assuming that it's not stolen... it'd be great to pick it up, then STILL lose the $1,800 and get locked up for aiding and abetting
Image Image
quinterbourne
4 valves
4 valves

Post by quinterbourne »

Ok, an in person pickup... a great idea! I get it.

However, I have heard some stories of buyers who have set up a meeting with the seller, and then the seller brings a gun, a bat, or something and then steals the money (often leaving the buyer for dead). I guess this could work the other way around, with the buyer stealing the merchandise, without giving the money.

What I'm trying to say is, just be real careful with an in-person pick-up. It seems obvious that this guy is trying to pull a fast one, so even if he agrees to meet, make sure you meet this seller in a public area with lots of people around. I would even suggest meeting outside a bank so he/she may verify that the money order/cashiers cheque is valid (and they are unlikely to shoot you outside a bank!).
Liberty Mo
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Liberty Mo »

I think that is more of fear cultivated into an urban legend. I don't think there are many Ebay deals resulting in deaths around the country....something tells me Geraldo would be on it.
Miraphone 1291-5v BBb
Conn Monster BBb
"Half of the World is Below Average"