What key is this in?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Søren
pro musician
pro musician

What key is this in?

Post by Søren »

What key is this in?
http://cgi.ebay.com/1957-Conn-26-K-26K- ... dZViewItem

According to the Conn Loyalist, the model 26K is an Eb sousaphone(see link below) http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ecderksen/Conn26 ... image.html
But the body section on this ebay sousaphone looks like a BBb to me.
Is it just the bell that is from a model 26k?

Any input is appreciated.
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

Very definitely a BBb. Given Conn's tendency to reuse numbers, and repair techs' tendency to reuse parts, I'd not pay an awful lot of attention to that "26K". Look at the body -- full circle plus a loop under the leadpipe -- definitely, positively a BBb.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

TheEngineer wrote:No no, it says it's a "Bbb". Therefore it's an A tuba. I've actually got one and it is a BBb, very nice sounding too. A bit heavy but it balances well, and the valves are still working nicely.
Do you have a BBb tuba that says 26K on both the bell and body? All of the 26Ks that I have seen and owned have been Ebs.

This is definitely a BBb, so I assumed that the bell is just from an Eb. Many Conn sousaphones from this era used the same collar.
Daryl Fletcher
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Daryl Fletcher »

TheEngineer wrote:No no, it says it's a "Bbb". Therefore it's an A tuba.
Perfect for playing all those marching band tunes that are written in sharp keys. :P
WilliamVance
bugler
bugler

Post by WilliamVance »

I would vote that this is a 14K and for sure is a BBb. They don't show the flange in any pictures that show if the body is stamped 26K. My 20K has 20 K 27 stamped on both the bell and the flange. I would suspect that this horn has a 26K bell? I am not certain if a 26K and 14K have the same bell joint though. Perhaps one of the repair guru's would chime in and see if this is a possibility?

...Upon further examination it looks like it could be a Pan American with a Conn bell...The braces don't look like vintage Conn.
Last edited by WilliamVance on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Without question this is a BBb sousa. The bell came from a different horn. I owned a 28K... which is the 4V version of the 26K. They are Eb horns and have an entirely different wrap.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.