A sad end.....

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Highams
pro musician
pro musician

A sad end.....

Post by Highams »

....and I'm ashamed to say it's in the UK!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Play-the-biggest- ... dZViewItem

(framed like a bird bath and not even the valves work!)

CB
Aspire & Be Inspired !
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

They're keeping it's location secret because the know TubeNetdom would overrun the place and return it to a reasonable resting place. Not even the valves work.

I'm not paying for a picture of anything less than York #3...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Is that the same horn that served as a decoration for the Boosey Edgware plant? IIRC, the body of that thing is full of putty and the valves are indeed dummies.

It's really nothing more than a bit of commercial advertising, if this is the same horn. Don't cry too much.
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

Being the private property advocate that I am, and particularly given that this horn -- whatever its origin -- was clearly constructed for the freak-show business, I can't see any problem with the guy who OWNS it doing what he wants with it. He may indeed be unwise to keep it exposed to the elements; on the other hand, we don't know if his little "tuba shed" might roll into the garage -- er -- make that "car park" :roll: -- when not in use, or may be covered with a tarp. In any case, I see nothing shameful about a fellow engaging in free enterprise -- a willing seller, a willing buyer... sounds like a grand thing to me!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I did email him and encourage him to restore it rather than let it deteriorate.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

iiipopes wrote:I did email him and encourage him to restore it rather than let it deteriorate.
Restore it to what? If this is the horn that I think it is, it's about the same as it's always been--safely protected under several coats of good English paint.
Highams
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Highams »

Aspire & Be Inspired !
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Either way... think of the gig bag you'd need to haul THAT around... :P
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Haugan
bugler
bugler
Location: Milwaukee, Madison, Green Bay, Rockford, Il., Chicago, (depending on day & duty)

Post by Haugan »

There were SEVERAL (at least 3) subcontrabass tubas made around the turn of the century.

One was made by Conn (a 3 rotary valve, with valve spatulas on the bias, not unlike a Marzan tuba) and was left by the Sousa Band on the docks of London after a European tour when it was determined that there was not enough cargo space in the hold of the steamer returning the band to America. This particular tuba found it's way into the basement of "Paxman's" a well known London brass manufacturer (primarily of French Horns) and stayed "trapped" there until someone cut the bell allowing it to be removed from the shop. It is now purportedly owned by a private owner in Great Britian. It is playable, and was played publicly at one point by the late Gerard Hoffnung, British humorist, cartoonist, and a fine amatuer tuba player (The "Two Moods for Tuba" recorded by Harvey Phillips were originally written for Hoffnung)

Harvard University owns one of the Subcontrabass tubas. One hung from the ceiling of Carl Fischer's in NYC for many years. I am not sure, but this could be the one Harvard now posesses.

The 2 or 3 other than the Conn appear to be of British origin, following pretty closely the "design template" of the Besson or Boosey & Hawkes tubas.

There exists a BBBb subcontra tuba somewhere in the Czech Republic that surfaces from time to time at wind band festivals and has been seen in Cervany advertisments in the past. It's design follows the traditional "Kaisertuba" design, and it appears to have a 3 to 4 foot bell diameter. It was also made about the same time as the other Subcontrabass tubas.

Ed Livingston once told me that he had an opportunity to play on one of the Subcontrabass tubas while a student in Great Britain, and it "sucked the air right out of you - It's hard to imagine playing "the scale" on such a tuba beginning on a pedal Bb."

The sub-contra BBBb tubas were used sparingly in Sousa concerts, reportedly just when an "organ-stop" effect was desired in certain works and the ending chords of selected pieces.

It is unlikely that we'll ever see renewed usage of these 70+ lb. behemoths, although tradition has it that the Harvard BBBb is played yearly at halftime at one of its football games.

It is interesting to note the secretive locations of most of these oversize tubas. It seems to add to the aire of mysticism surrounding them.

I'd have to say I'd pay 20 lbs. for a chance to play one that worked, though I wouldn't travel 2100 miles to do it.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. --Shakespeare

It is my belief, that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to decieve - Mark Twain
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Haugan wrote: This particular tuba found it's way into the basement of "Paxman's" a well known London brass manufacturer (primarily of French Horns) and stayed "trapped" there until someone cut the bell allowing it to be removed from the shop. It is now purportedly owned by a private owner in Great Britian.
Your informatiion is out-of-date. This instrument is currently owned by a TubeNet regular.
Harvard University owns one of the Subcontrabass tubas. One hung from the ceiling of Carl Fischer's in NYC for many years. I am not sure, but this could be the one Harvard now posesses.
Two different instruments. Until Carl Fischer closed its store not too long ago, you could still see it. I don't know what they did with the horn with the store closing, but I'll bet that a bunch of folks know. IIRC, it was in pretty sad shape when the store closed.
It is interesting to note the secretive locations of most of these oversize tubas. It seems to add to the aire of mysticism surrounding them.
I don't know that the locations are all that secret--just that not many folks are interested in these freaks. If I'm right, the one shown on ePay was intended as a decoration only and never meant to be played.
Allen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Allen »

I have heard the Harvard BBBb tuba played, and talked to people who have played it. I'm not sure how to describe this device, but I certainly would not call it a musical instrument.

In this same category, I remember seeing pictures of a 17-manual organ console (check http://www.thehouseontherock.com/) someone had put together. Impressive, yes. A practical device for a human to use, no.

Now, back to my laboratory, where I am working on the world's first BBBBBBBBBBBb tuba! [It's complete with aircraft warning lights.]
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Allen wrote:In this same category, I remember seeing pictures of a 17-manual organ console (check http://www.thehouseontherock.com/) someone had put together. Impressive, yes. A practical device for a human to use, no.
Like the jewels in a 21-jewel Chinese watch, most of that stuff is for decoration and very little of it is actually hooked up. It's just there to amaze the tourists...
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

IowegianStar wrote:
Allen wrote:Now, back to my laboratory, where I am working on the world's first BBBBBBBBBBBb tuba! [It's complete with aircraft warning lights.]
What size mouthpiece shank... and is it silver or laquer?
Well, I see we have finally gotten to the important information. Don't forget to ask if it is piston or rotary.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Chuck(G) wrote:
iiipopes wrote:I did email him and encourage him to restore it rather than let it deteriorate.
Restore it to what? If this is the horn that I think it is, it's about the same as it's always been--safely protected under several coats of good English paint.
Well, if there's not much there, then, oh, well. But, in the lap of luxury (the only lap it would fit on!), it would be fun to have one, like Sousa, for the big endings.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

I always heard jokes about people doing things like this with tubas. I guess it really happens.
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

:shock:

WE'VE BEEN DUPED!!!
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

It seems to me that if a monster liike this was all that desirable, one could lay up some fiberglass cloth and resin over a large form and have a heckuva do-it-yourself project. You could use a standard-size valve cluster, as you'd want something you actually stood a chance of playing.

It'd probably weight only a couple hundred pounds, tops.
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

LoyalTubist wrote:WE'VE BEEN DUPED!!!
No, looks like single to me :shock:
Daniel C. Oberloh
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Daniel C. Oberloh »

Here is one for the f tuba players out there. Hope you have long arms.
:wink:

http://www.amati.cz/english/company/old/bigtuba.htm

Daniel C. Oberloh
Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works
www.oberloh.com
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

"It's not my fault, maestro! I played an F, but he fingered a G, and it was late besides! (I told them not to get a viola player for this!)"