Baritone/euphonium or Eb tuba??

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

What is this?

Baritone horn/euphonium
5%
Eb Tuba
65%
Bb Tuba
10%
POS
15%
Who Cares
5%

Total votes: 20

Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Baritone/euphonium or Eb tuba??

Post by Lew »

What do you think? Based on the 14" bell I'm saying tuba.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7399278263
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

'at's no euph/bari! maybe even a BBb?
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Baritone/euphonium or Eb tuba??

Post by Donn »

Wonder how hard it would be, to create a tool to do this analysis? The low tech analogue version is some string, laid out along the tubing path on a picture of the tuba; compare it to the height dimension for reference, and do the arithmetic to get the length, which roughly implies pitch.

I think runners and the like already have something like this in the digital realm, where they plot routes on maps. If there's a version where you can supply your own map as an image, that would be a pretty good start.

I think I would leave perspective correction issues unsolved. In the present case it looks like a modest rotation would do it, but more often there's serious foreshortening (due to close viewpoint/wide angle of view) that would be harder to deal with.

(just by eyeball, I get 11 feet. Oh, well.)
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I have very little doubt. It's an Eb tuba.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Teubonium
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Teubonium »

Look at the 2nd valve tuning slide. If the end is about 4" from the valve its an eefer, about 6" its a BBb.

So, I need to cast more than one vote,

It's an Eb POS and I don't care!! :roll:
Bach Strad 36BO Sakbutt
Besson 967 Euph
MW2141 Eb
Kanstul 33s BBb
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Kenton
bugler
bugler

Re: Baritone/euphonium or Eb tuba??

Post by Kenton »

Donn wrote:Wonder how hard it would be, to create a tool to do this analysis? The low tech analogue version is some string, laid out along the tubing path on a picture of the tuba; compare it to the height dimension for reference, and do the arithmetic to get the length, which roughly implies pitch.
That would be an interesting experiment. Working from just pictures would be tricky, but if there was (or we created) a table giving approximate length of the straight lengths of tubing on 1st, 2nd and 3rd valves. Then it might be possible to make an informed guess.

Might be worth setting up some pictures of instruments of known size and only give a bell diamter or height measurment, and let reader take a shot at identifiying them.

kms