fairly early 4 valve sousaphone with a non-orig 32K bell

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

fairly early 4 valve sousaphone with a non-orig 32K bell

Post by windshieldbug »

The pitch says "Seller states that everything works and sounds good."

Of course, that's without a mouthpipe, gooseneck, or mouthpiece, and WITH some "vintage" plastic tubing, a trumpet mouthpiece, and a LOT of gold spraypaint (guess they ran out before they got to the bell... ) :D
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

It's obviously not playable as it is, but a Conn 40K, even needing the leadpipe (not counting the neck and bits) is still a steal, even with a 32K bell, if it sells for anything near where it is now. The leadpipe parts should still be available without having to custom make them because I believe that 20K parts should work for it.
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

I wonder how many folks are bidding on that horn for just the valve block?
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

bloke wrote:
Matthew Gilchrest wrote:I wonder how many folks are bidding on that horn for just the valve block?
I wouldn't...

With those sousaphone-shaped 4th valve loops, no upward-oriented #1 / #3 / #4 slides, and (very likely) shot valves, what's the real monetary value of that?
Unless you have another 40K for which you need parts.
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Bandmaster »

Lew wrote:It's obviously not playable as it is, but a Conn 40K, even needing the leadpipe (not counting the neck and bits) is still a steal, even with a 32K bell...
I didn't know that a 32K bell would fit in a 40K??? I thought the 32K was a "Lightweight Sousaphone"... with the smaller bell flange? Since there is no "K" stamped next to the "32", and my 38K has the number "77" stamped in the same spot on the bell, I don't think the number 32 has anything to do with the model number. From the looks of the engraving on the bell it is vintage as well. It might even be the original bell for this horn. It's hard to tell because someone has covered the body of the horn in gold spray paint. I can tell, since my 38K IS gold plated. Note where the old neck braces and thumb ring broke off... the scars have been covered over by the spray paint too.

bloke wrote:
I believe that 20K parts should work for it.
A 20K lower mouthpipe on that instrument would challenge a player's ability to play up to A=440...

...unless they sacrificed one or both of the tuning bits. :(
OK, well, how much shorter IS the 38k/40K leadpipe assembly than the 20K?
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

bloke wrote:
Matthew Gilchrest wrote:I wonder how many folks are bidding on that horn for just the valve block?
I wouldn't...

With those sousaphone-shaped 4th valve loops, no upward-oriented #1 / #3 / #4 slides, and (very likely) shot valves, what's the real monetary value of that?
Don't tell them that!!! :wink:
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
eli
bugler
bugler

Don't laugh...

Post by eli »

... sucker just ended over a grand! "vintage" plastic leadpipe, spray paint and all...