Ever seen a lefty sousa?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
eli
bugler
bugler

Ever seen a lefty sousa?

Post by eli »

Blew my mind... emailed the seller just to verify that the photos aren't reversed, and he said nope, this is what it really looks like... hadn't heard of anyone ever making a southpaw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/H-M-White-Pre-King- ... dZViewItem
Last edited by eli on Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Probably had a rank of them just behind the left-handed trombones...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Bandmaster »

If it really is a "left handed" sousaphone, maybe that explains why there are no viewable dents in the horn. It wasn't used very much! So it should be in pretty good playing condition, if you can handle fingering it with your left hand? :shock:
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Ever seen a lefty sousa?

Post by Donn »

eli wrote:Blew my mind... emailed the seller just to verify that the photos aren't revered, and he said nope, this is what it really looks like...
But then, in the Q&A someone asks if it's left handed, and he opines that it isn't. Maybe there are two sellers, each a mirror image of the other, and they take turns answering questions with contradictory answers?
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

This place sells left-handed drumsticks and maracas.

bugler
bugler

Re: Ever seen a lefty sousa?

Post by eli »

Donn wrote:
But then, in the Q&A someone asks if it's left handed, and he opines that it isn't. Maybe there are two sellers, each a mirror image of the other, and they take turns answering questions with contradictory answers?
I'm the "someone"... and then I asked him again to double-check, and he replied that it really does look like the photos... but apparently he hasn't posted that exchange yet.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

You guys are all missing the obvious answer.

It's a right-handed sousaphone, all right, but designed to be played upside-down.

I'm glad to have cleared that up. :shock:
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Chuck(G) wrote:It's a right-handed sousaphone, all right, but designed to be played upside-down
Or, maybe it's an asuosenohp designed to be heard upside-down!

Inquiring minds want to know!
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

A left handed (right shouldered) sousaphone doesn't seem logical to me. I grew up as the only right handed person in a completly left handed family. One of the problems lefties have is eating. You never want to have a lefty, if you are a righty, on your right side--you bang each other with your eating hand.

See, what I was thinking--in a marching band, if the tuba players are standing next to each other in a military formation, their bells are going to bang each other. A left handed tuba player showed me how to play a sousaphone left handed and it was done by putting the left hand over the side of the sousaphone (this guy only had one hand).

My guess is that the picture is a mirror image, but I would ask the seller first about it.