Here's to Joe Doodeward (deceased)

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Here's to Joe Doodeward (deceased)

Post by Donn »

I bet a lot of you guys have over 100 mouthpieces, but to me, that seems like a lot.
trseaman
4 valves
4 valves

Post by trseaman »

I found this on the Internet:
For those who do not know or remember, Ralph Proksch played for quite a while
with the Whoopee John Orchestra. This picture was taken Jan 26, 1958 at Marty
Zivco's Ballroom in Hartford, WI. Besides Ralph on Accordion is Joe "the Gink"
Doodeward on tuba. The standsides show "Decca Records - Whoopee John -
America's #1 Polka Band - WCCO Radio & TV
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Seeing as the Conn 1 drew some interest ($87.55), I hope it will be OK to call your attention to the Conn 3 that comes up in a couple of days. I have one. Shallow funnel shape, medium small cup diameter, apparently not a common combination. Easy blowing mouthpiece for mid-high range, a little weak on the bottom end but with the funnel velvety tone and tolerance for loud playing. I think it's supposed to be an Eb mouthpiece, but with standard American shank.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: Here's to Joe Doodeward (deceased)

Post by windshieldbug »

Donn wrote:I bet a lot of you guys have over 100 mouthpieces, but to me, that seems like a lot.
Actually, I have around 120, but only about 20 of them are tuba mouthpieces... :oops:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:I'm always fascinated when I see mouthpieces that I viewed (as a kid) as "stock", "run-of-the-mill", etc. go for fat prices.

It seems to me that that campy Aztec-looking Conn "EZ-tone" (another run-of-the-mill old stock 'piece) should bring more collector $$'s than a Conn 1, 2, or 3.
The E-Z Tone was a Conn? That's the only one I have bid on so far, but not really from a collector perspective - maybe I just like to look weird. (My bari sax mouthpiece is clear red.) But also in the hope of finding the mouthpiece of my dreams, at random but fairly cheap.

I thought that was probably the draw with the Conn 1 -- it might be something special to play, and this was the rare chance to get in on it.