Marzan

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

TubaTinker wrote:Think I ought to add a 5th to the Marzan? If so, would I be better off with a 2-3 combination setup or a flat whole step? (maybe both with interchangable slides) Some of you guys know these horns much better than I.
FWIW I always found that with the tuning slide facing up, I didn't need any more than 4. It's like playing a 'bone; you always see pros adjusting a little on the way up and down. You get used to it real fast if you use it for any length of time. Plus, I think the BBb version is even better. Once you let your ears do the playing, it becomes second nature. I loved mine. Enjoy it!
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Dan, your replacement 186 bells are fine on the bow end. The Marzan bottom bow has longer legs than the usual American bow and the Marzan itself is more squat than a 186. Still it would look funny with 16" bell...
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Got the eBay Marzan today. Intonation is great and damage to the body is minimal. It could stand to have the pistons plated but the compression is still acceptable. There are lots of 'crinkles' in the bell where past repairs were not properly done but I think I'll be able to save it. There are five or six dime-sized areas that will require silver-soldering. The bell-wire buzzes, but that should be an easy fix. All in all, I think I'll keep this one around for a while. As someone mentioned, there is absolutely no need for a 5th valve.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.