Gorgeous Horn--What is it??

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

Looks like a King from the 1930's. I am sure somebody here has a copy of the catalog.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Vintage King or Conn...looks more King to me than Conn, but I'm not totally up to speed on my vintage tubas.

Similar look to an HB-2 with the leadpipe loop and all...
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Nice!

Post by Roger Lewis »

Looks like a Conn Grand Orchestral BBb model 33J or some such to me.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Gorgeous Horn--What is it??

Post by Dan Schultz »

[quote="pgolson"]This photo is the cover of a book being advertised online and caught my attention immediately.

Any of you hardcore historical brass types know what horn this is?

I await, eagerly :shock: your reply.

This is almost certainly a King model 1240 from the 30's. Send me your email and I'll send you a couple of catalog pages. I play a model 1235... the Eb bell-front version.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
tubadoctor
bugler
bugler

Post by tubadoctor »

I actually have this book at home, and I know it lists the vitals... If there isn't a positive I.D. on her, I'll hook you all up when I get home... By the way, if you have a chance to pick up that book, do it! It is a great lil collection of interesting and historic tuba stuffs!
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

tubaboy wrote:i'm surprised that no one can distinguish it from its leadpipe..... thats quite unusual to have a kink in the lead pipe like that before it reaches the valve cluster...... no? usually they try to keep the bending in the lead pipe as little as possible, or so i thought.
Tuning in the leadpipe was quite common, especially in the early part of the 20th century. I have seen King, Conn, Holton, and Buescher euphoniums and tubas with this type of leadpipe, and I'm sure there are many others. The current VMI 3300 series tubas also have a very long leadpipe with a tuning slide in it.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Lew wrote: The current VMI 3300 series tubas also have a very long leadpipe with a tuning slide in it.
Yuppers, although I never use mine for tuning. It's a great catch for bunches of water and whatever other gunk gets blown into the leadpipe. I usually pull it to dump water about twice as often using the main slide and its water key.
tubadoctor
bugler
bugler

Post by tubadoctor »

i totally forgot to check this book out after work that day... if anyone is still interested, it is a conn... picture is actually an old conn add... like i said, this boo is a must have for tuba players out there ... it is by mark chalabala, and is a limited printing of 750 copies.. i bought mine from ebay... if ya see it, buy it!
my name is shane, and i endorse this message