silver Gebr. Alexander Mainz SAX horn !

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

I wonder if they have intonation challenges, too :?:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Daniel C. Oberloh
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Daniel C. Oberloh »

Maker: H. Couf

Daniel C. Oberloh
Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works
www.oberloh.com
Daniel C. Oberloh
pro musician
pro musician

zoro wrote:
Daniel C. Oberloh wrote:Maker: H. Couf

Daniel C. Oberloh
www.oberloh.com
Keilwerth made Couf's saxes.
You are correct. :oops: Looks just like the early ones they made for Armstrong under the H. Couf name. I was not super impressed with them but still an okay saxophone.

Daniel C. Oberloh
Daniel C. Oberloh
pro musician
pro musician

bloke wrote:Dan,

Do you remember the ones with the silver plated keys covered with clear lacquer?...

...and between the silver and the brass base metal was a layer of nickel...

...so the silver and the lacquer were always flaking off or spotting.

:x

yup, I believe King also sold some of those as the "Tempo" saxes.
Joe,
Thats what I was thinking of, the King Tempo. I also recalled a Bundy baritone sax and possibly a tenor made by J. K. (old).
I managed to avoid most of that Armstrong stuff but instead got stuck working on other semi-worthless crap, attempting to turn it back into gold for my employer. Old shop worn Conservartie (sp) and Grossi saxophones were what I was at times saddled with. Apprenticeships are not fun!
I remember the H. Couf altos Armstrong produced with the nickel plated keys, cheap looking but we did not have many of those saxophones out this way (lucky me), the last one I saw was in the early 90s. I remember a few open hole Armstrong flutes that also had silver on nickel plate. They were sort of a pain to get stripped (polish and sand the blistered silver so we could chem-strip the nickel, sucked! :x ) in order to refinish and re-plate. They looked good and played okay when completed but what a task.

Ahh, the good-ol 1980s. Don't miss em one bit, no sir, not even a little bit. :roll:

Daniel C. Oberloh
www.oberloh.com